Chapter 1

(Mads)

I had just woken up from my nap as Maggie was shouting about not having any clothes , ugh why does she have to be so loud it's just some stupid party .
I got out to bed to tell her to shut up ,

"Maggie be quite no one cares you have nothing to wear ,thanks a lot cause now you've woken me up ,I didn't get any sleep last night I've been studying not that you know what that is " I groan at her .

"That does matter I've got nothing to wear it's a military party how am I meant to have something to wear for that " she says frustrated I roll my eyes as much as I love her she is very extra .

"That does matter I've got nothing to wear  it's a military party how am I meant to have something to wear for that  " she says frustrated I roll my eyes as much as I love her she is very extra

I help her find some clothes and do her hair she squeals and hugs me I laugh at how excited she is for this party .

I head back to my room and since I'm awake now I might as well go to the library

I hear mom on the phone shouting about something I head into her room and see Maggie and Mel already there .

"Are you ok mom" Mel asks

"Yeah" she replies I ask her again to make sure as she doesn't seem her self she nods trying to reassure me she's ok .

"Look at you three , my beautiful girls " mom says looking at us proudly.

"Ok did you have a glass of wine or something " Maggie asks I laugh .

" No" she replies , we give her a look not believing her "fine one " says. Maggie turns to us putting 2 fingers up , We laugh .

We sit on the bed with her I smile listening to what mom was saying .

"I feel so lucky being the mom of three special young women , special in such different ways . And your better together and nothing is stronger than sisterhood "

"Don't worry mom we're all over it" I say

"But can we go it's bad enough I'm the only freshman with a curfew " Maggie says , mom nods and tells us to go .

Maggie and Mel leave the house while me and mom are still sitting on her bed

"You sure your ok mom " I ask not believing her answer before .

"Yes honey fine believe me just stressed about work, now what are your plans for tonight" She asks

"I might go to the library with Anna, got my law midterms soon " I tell her .

She nods" well you better go before it gets late "

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay here with you , I can go tomorrow " I ask not wanting to leave her alone.

She shakes her head " don't be silly go I'll be fine now go" she says I nod my head hesitantly getting up giving her a kiss goodbye .

As I'm on the way to the library anna messages saying she can't make it , great .

I've been here for about half an hour and I haven't even done my work cause I don't know why I just have a really bad feeling about something and I'm really tired cause I've barley had any sleep .

"Mads, MADISON wake up" someone shouts down my ear, I jump up and see Mel and Maggie

"Mel , Maggie what are you doing here " I ask confused why there here

"Have you not checked your phone Mom said she needs us home, I messaged you so many times " Mel says I look at my phone to see messages from mom and Mel .

We get home , and it's freezing and we can't find mom , we run to attic calling her name she doesn't respond .

I look around and see the window is smashed, we run to window and my heart drops , there's mom on the floor . Tears keep falling down my face .
she's dead. My moms dead

"NO" Maggie screams

"NO" Maggie screams .

This is all my fault .

~~~~

(3 months later)

I get home to find Maggie pacing up and down the hallway just as I'm about to ask what's wrong , Mel walks in .

"You hit someone" Maggie says .

"Wait what , what happened" I ask confused.

"Don't worry about it" Mel says walking past us.

"Seriously" I ask .

"Your a graduate student , teaching assistant you could loose your job. See this is why I don't come home anymore your loosing it Maggie says to her .

"Then why are you here" Mel says .

I try to calm them down but get ignored.

"Because I needed clothes" Maggie says . I roll my eyes at them , I'm over them constantly arguing and they never listen to me . I go and sit on the sofa ignoring them , they continue arguing until someone knocks on the door thank god .

Maggie goes to answer it , when she opens it a girl there I've never seen her before but she's pretty.

"Hi , I'm Macy Vaughn " she says

"Yes" Maggie replies clearly not interested.

"Sorry , I just moved to Hill-town" she says .

"I'm sorry this isn't a great time" Maggie says .

"No wait please , I think I'm your sister"she says me and Mel look at each other my jaw drops what is going on .

She shows a picture of her and our mom outside our house . How is this possible.

Something happens and the lights turn of scaring us all .

Me ,Macy and Maggie are looking at the picture in the dark using Maggies flashlight.

"It's her,right?" Macy asks .

"Yeah definitely" I say still shocked.

Mel comes back , "Mel look at this" Maggie says showing her the picture.

"Yeah I saw , where'd you get it " Mel says

"I found it after my dad died" Maggie says I feel guilty understanding how hard it is loosing a parent .

She explains how she just got a job at the university .

I leave the room to go and try and see why the lights turned of .

I come back down to see Macy slamming the door and Mel walking of .

" I was gone for two minutes , how could Mel scare her of that quickly" I say knowing it was Mel who made her leave .

"It's Mel we're talking about , she started accusing her of being the one who killed mom" Maggie says .

"Of course she did" I say not surprised by Mels behaviour but I kind of wanted to see what Macy had to say .