Chapter 1 - Just In Time

Christmas Eve would also be a holiday for Chris LaSalle in his new job. Early on he had decided to take a few days before the celebration as vacation days. He had covered both Labor Day and Thanksgiving for his supervisor. Unfortunately, the plan he made had fallen through. After six years of marriage, he should have known better. He never knew when his wife would disappear. He would simply find the suitcase or duffle bag sitting down on the floor and then he would merely ask – when?

Chris was awakened by the door bell several days before Christmas. He had been up most of the night with his daughter. She had another ear infection to his dismay. A visit to the pediatrician ended somewhat surprising to the first-time father. "Well Mr. LaSalle, I think it's time to insert tubes into her ears. We can schedule the procedure right after the first of the year".

"So, what does that entail, doctor" Chris asked with concern?

"Ear tubes are very small tubes that are surgically placed in your child's eardrum by a pediatric ear, nose and throat, ENT surgeon. The purpose of the tube is to provide ventilation to the middle ear and prevent fluid buildup."

"Ear tubes are made of metal or plastic. During the surgery, a small hole is made in the eardrums and the tubes are inserted. The opening to the middle ear behind the eardrum lets air flow in and out. This keeps air pressure even between the middle ear and the outside and helps to drain fluid that builds up behind the eardrum."

"Most children won't need surgery to have a tube taken out later. Ear tubes usually fall out on their own, pushed out as the eardrum heals. I can recommend a good ENT that I work with regularly."

"Do not be afraid Mr. LaSalle" he added seeing the concern on his face. "This is a common procedure. You and your wife will only see the final affect which is to ensure that your daughter's hearing and speech have the ability to develop as it should."

"I will call in a prescription for Olivia, but it might take a couple of days for it to work. Make sure you give her all of the contents of the bottle."

Turning his attention back to the box LaSalle's heart filled with joy as he recognized the handing writing on the container. It belonged to his wife. Inside he found a card and a CD.

"My dearest husband

Enclosed is my Christmas gift to you.

I wanted you to see it today allowing you to remember how much that I love you. You know that I will do my best to be there with you and our daughter this Christmas.

Love, Sonja."

Chris did not know that Sonja had left the package with a co-worker and asked her to put into the system if she wasn't back by nineteenth.

LaSalle went to their joint office and put the disc into the computer drive. It only took a few moments to feel the tears spill from his eyes. Sonja had compiled a video of Olivia's life from a few months before her birth, the day that she was born and the many days afterwards. He had no idea when many of the photos were taken. He realized that their nanny had busy catching him in situations of his everyday life with his daughter. Adding to the joy was the song by one of his favorite singers that Sonja had placed in the background. He had only heard Tim McGraw's song to his own daughter once, but he was sure that the song, "My Little Girl", would be imprinted on his heart for all time.

The next day progressed on with a very fussy baby girl. Chris had hired the teenage girl from next door to come over for the day and help him with his daughter. The LaSalles had given their live-in nanny the week of Christmas off.

Megan had set out Oliva's dinner before she left. LaSalle put his still cranky daughter into her highchair before he set the dish into the microwave. He opened the jar of applesauce and dumped half of it into a plastic bowl.

Olivia was hesitant at eating the meat and veggies. LaSalle had tried to look at her throat, but she had chosen not to cooperate. She did eat the apple sauce and drink a small amount of juice and then some milk.

LaSalle finally gave up and rinse the food down the drain then placed the dishes and cups into the dishwasher.