7th Chapter: CONVICTION

Start from the beginning

After a minute or so, he finally made it home. He typed the password on the number pad and slowly unlocked the door. Good thing he has one, more convenient than bringing a key all the time. The emptiness hits him once again when he switched on the light. He puts down his skateboard beside the shoe rack and took off his shoes.

He went straight to the fridge and pulled out cold water to take away some of the taste of the beer stuck in his mouth. The dreary ambiance of his homemade Yibo lose his appetite, so he didn't bother to prepare food. He switched off the light and walked lazily upstairs. The pale light coming from the moon illuminating from his window was enough for him to walk inside his bedroom. He tossed his gym bag on the floor and flung his exhausted body onto his bed, resting a bit before going to the bathroom to freshen up.

After minutes of drying his hair and putting on his pajamas, he removed his dirty clothes from his gym bag. He switched on the lamp and climbed up to his bed, not eager for the next day. He moved his head towards the photo on his nightstand and whispered in a sleepy voice;

"Good night, baby."

As he was closing his eyes, he suddenly recalled what Xiao Zhan said to him at the meeting. He shifted to his other side and tried closing his eyes again, but the smokey voice of the mysterious man was the only thing he can hear.

"Damn it.." He muttered.

He then realized that he forgot to check his schedule for the next morning which irritated him more. He grabbed his laptop and scanned through his activities for tomorrow. Good thing he only has a few things to take care of in the morning and the afternoon. Relieved, he turned off his laptop and scrolled his phone next. He squinted as the strong light coming from his screen started to affect his eyes. yibo gently rubbed his tired eyes and looked at his call history. Nothing much to see except his brother's number or his manager's calling him. He realized that he didn't save Xiao Zhan's number yet. It's rare for him to call anybody he doesn't know, but it was business-related. He was hesitant at first because he already has his calling card so why save it on his phone. But eventually, he did.

MR. XIAO ZHAN. He pressed his lips together and shrugged.

After saving it on his phone book, he puts his phone beside his pillow and laid back down. The beer was beginning to take effect, as Yibo slowly shut his eyes and sailed away to his dreams.

                                    • • • •

Morning came and the City which was calm the night before started to get active again. Birds warble and car buzzers play together in tune, signaling the beginning of a new day.

Bright light invaded Yibo's room, shortly waking him up before his alarm could do so. He rubbed his eyes and unhurriedly sat up. He switched off his night lamp and got out of bed. The usual morning routine begins.

His head feels a little weird probably because of the beer last night. He went downstairs and made some coffee to get off the uncomfortable feeling. Yibo opened the fridge to make breakfast but rolled his eyes instead when he realized that he still didn't buy eggs. Cereal with some milk was the easiest to do so he grabbed some and chewed on it in peace.  It was still early so he had time to do house chores for no one will do it for him. He was washing dishes when his phone rang. Thinking that it was his manager or brother again, he just ignored it and continued to do whatever he was doing. It stopped but rings again shortly after.

Yibo let out an annoyed sigh and grabbed his phone to look at whoever was calling. He was a bit surprised to see who it was.

MR. XIAO ZHAN.