An AU Fantasy

They were lost in the woods.

They were lost in the woods and it was growing dark.

They were lost in the woods and it was growing dark and they had begun to tremble.

They were lost in the woods when they heard it. 

*************************************************

They hadn't meant to get lost. Their mother had trusted them all to look after each other.

"Safety in numbers," She had said. But there was no Bill, or Charlie who were brave and fierce. And Percy had decided to stay home. Mother hadn't wanted them to go. Not since Papa couldn't go with them. But they were running out of food, and fast. They had to use what little money they all brought in to go buy food; only the stuff they couldn't find in the woods. But they had found a patch of blackberries, and they had stopped to collect a couple and eat some more until darkness had fallen and they realized they were lost. They had trooped about for a bit, but there was almost no light, for the moon rarely shone through the trees, and when it did, it was only brief. There would be a storm tonight. 

And that was what had lead them to be lost in the woods that dark, cold night with nought but their old woolen cloaks.Fred was the oldest at 17, with George just a few minutes younger. Then there was Ron, 16, and Ginny,15. They were all shivering in the cold. (Hermione is Fred and George's age). And that was when they heard it. A snap of a twig. It was nothing much, and ordinarily they would not have paid any attention to it, but it was dark and night time and the guerilla war was still on.

The guerilla war was a strange sort of battle happening up and down the country. In mysterious places, bodies were cropping up, all with slit palms and mud rubbed into their blood. The Weasleys were no stranger to the war, for their father had been killed a year previously when he was out getting food. Their mother had refused to let anyone out of the house for weeks after that, until all their food had ran out - again. 

And so they froze, because they were scared innocent teenagers who had nothing to defend themselves with against the killers in the strange war they had somehow been mixed up in. 

Another crack, and a rustle of leaves. They still hadn't moved from their positions, but their eyes darted about furiously. 

Fred saw it first. The glint of the moonlight of a blade as it swung in a graceful ark, heading straight for his younger sister. Without thinking about it, he dived and pushed Ginny to the ground, the sword just missing them both. 

The blades clashed loudly, a ringing noise echoing through the forest as someone darted out from behind the bushes, sword brandished in front of them. Whoever it was (for they had a scarf or some sort of black fabric covering their face) kept their back to the Weasleys and gave two sharp, piercing whistles. In less than a minute, someone else darted into the small clearing - in an impressive forward roll - and stood on guard too, with his back towards the first man. They were both dressed the same, in leather trousers and warm jackets that allowed lot's of movement, and boots that went halfway up their calves. On the sleeve of their jacket, a small, red phoenix was glinting softly. They were both in men's clothes. 

They said nothing, but the first one suddenly darted to the side with his sword raised and with an almightly clash! a fight began. Each man held at least two more to his sword at each time, as there seemed to be five or six attackers. They were fighting hard and extremely elegantly, clearly proffesionals, but they both kept darting glances around, looking for something. For what, Fred had no idea, but he wished he could help them instead of just standing there, at loss of what to do. 

Ginny let out a shriek, and Fred spun around wildly. Someone was grabbing her hair, and trying to drag her away. He had long matted hair, and sharpened teeth that he showed proudly whilst leering at Ginny. His nails were long and dirty and had also been sharpened, and his clothes were almost rags.