CHAPTER 33 - ❝it is just a chance I have to take❞

Start from the beginning

“Teach me how to use a gun and we can stop this once and for all.” I tell him after I stopped chewing.

“Fine!” He caves. “I’ll teach you how to use a gun.”

I clap my hands together happily, loving how the pieces of it all started to come together. I know how to fight and defend myself so if I can learn how to use a gun now, I can defend myself while in the White Pistols’ mansion.

• • •

Back at the mansion, in the backyard, Giovanni sighs as he walks over to me standing near the pool with a silenced gun.

He hands me it carefully like I’m going to drop it. “Be. Careful.” He says, emphasising each word carefully. “Once you have the gun in your hands, always check if the safety is off.” Giovanni says, pointing to a little safety pin on the gun’s side.

I move to turn the safety off but Giovanni stops me before my finger touches the pin, shaking his head at me. “For now you just aim and get to know the gun.”

“It’s heavy for such a small thing.” I tell him, examining the handgun in my hands.

My grip was nice and firm around the gun’s grip, the trigger so close but yet so far, but I take Giovanni’s advice and take my time to get to know the gun.

After I got used to the weight, I lifted the gun and pointed it at the trees in the backyard, just to see how it aimed.

“You’ll see that there is a front sight if you focus it in between the rear sight. If you can look right through the middle of the rear sight, here at the back, you can definitely count on a bull’s eye.”

I nod, seeing exactly what he was talking about: the front sight was right in the middle of the rear sight, aimed at the tree perfectly.

“Now,” Giovanni releases a breath before he slides the safety off, “if you’re ready to shoot, pull the trigger.”

I nod again, focusing on the front sight and taking in a deep breath before I finally pull the trigger.

The gun goes off and the bullet hits the tree spot on in the middle.

I cheer, jumping up and down but Giovanni grabs the gun from my hand and releases a relieved breath after he switches the gun back to safety. “Don’t jump around with a gun, especially not next to me. I don’t want to make it twelve tattoo lines.”

I laugh at him and see how his mouth curves into a smile.

“But good job. You really are a fast learner.”

“That was something else entirely. It felt so rebellious!” I chirp, just wanting to shoot at the tree again.

Giovanni must’ve noticed it because he hands me back the handgun.

“Go again, then.”

• • •

By the time I finish my gun training, the tree in Giovanni’s backyard is filled with bullet holes and bullet casings lying close to our feet. I will lie if I said that I didn’t have any fun, because it sure as hell was fun.

Giovanni was a great teacher for someone who got shot more times than actually handling a gun that is.

“Giovanni, I can’t thank you enough! This was really amazing.”

Giovanni takes the gun back before he props it into the waistband of his pants. “Anything to see you happy.” He replies. “But I think I deserve a kiss now.”

I nod, stepping onto my tippy toes before placing a quick kiss against his lips with my hands keeping me up on his shoulders.

His lips felt so warm and soft, as always.