Part 1

Part 1

Shouldn’t I be glad for this opportunity?

I was born in a penniless family from an awful province. We are three and I was the youngest. My two brothers got married and I was left all alone with my Nanay and Tatay.

Farming is our primary source of income but when my Nanay hospitalized my Tatay made a decision and that is to sell our small farm. Since then, my Tatay had no regular job that is why I had to stop from school.

“Take care of yourself and be good, okay?” Nanay said with tears forming in her eyes. Tatay is talking to the girl named Andrea.

“Yes Nanay. Don’t worry about me. Just think of yourself.” I said giving her a quick hug. I hugged Tatay and picked up my bags. Andrea smiled at them and we waved goodbye.

It is hard for me leaving them especially Nanay. I know she needs me but Tatay insisted it. He wanted the best for me. All Tatay wished the best for their kids, I know. He always wished to make all my dreams come true. And he believed that I couldn’t make it by staying in this rotten province. Don’t follow my footsteps. Don’t be a failure. He always said. You are not a failure Tatay in fact you are my inspiration. I always answered.

“We are here.” Andrea informed.

Goodbye Province and hello Dream City!

Oh yes oh yes. Finally, after the long ride. Almost six hours I guess. Whoa!

Andrea climbs out the bus. I picked my bags and followed her. We are now walking for almost five minutes and then she stopped in front of the huge house.

Oh my!

A girl opened the gate and gave us a pleasant smile. We followed her and reached the main living room. My eyes widened of admiration. This house is incomparable. This is superb.

The walls were painted white. Paintings here and there. So many works of arts. Amazing.

There is no house like this in our province. And oh, the full-size TV. I wished I could buy Nanay and Tatay like that. I'm sure they will be happy. I will work and study hard to reach all my dreams.

This will be the great experience ever.

A fine lady was sitting in the sofa. She’s the owner I guess. She motions us to sit down. I looked at Andrea and drew my brows together. She nodded as if she can read what I was thinking. Yay! So soft. It is heaven. A small smile made its way into my face. The fine lady saw it and smiles like an angel.

“Is that her?” The lady asked.

“Yes Maam. She’s a sweet and a hard working girl and I know her parents well. She’s not a headache I’ll assure you.” Andrea stated.

“Oh well I think you’re right. She’s a lovely and adorable young lady.” The lady said.

Lovely? Adorable? Me? Oh thank you.

“Poor girl. Too bad that at her young age she needed to work just to support her studies but at the same time I admire her strength of will.” The lady added.

They were talking for a couple of minutes then Andrea stands up and extended her hands saying thank you at the lady. Andrea’s eyes travelled straight at me.

“Olivia…I have to go. Be good always okay? I’ll tell your parents not to worry about you…that you’re in good hands.” She said patting me in my head. I just nodded as a response then she waved goodbye and walked away.

“So Olivia is your name?” The lady asked with a smile in her face.

I nodded without looking at her.

“You can call me Mrs. Kim.” She paused for a second then continued. “Follow me I’ll show you your room.” I followed her then she showed me my room.

It was nice. The walls were painted white too. There’s a bed at the left corner and a table at the center near the window. The closet was placed at the right corner of the room. I super love it. Simple and cozy.

“You are in charge of cleaning the house and the garden. Susan is in charge of cooking and the laundry. My three sons are in a Vacation right now but when Mavie got home. He will be your first priority. He is my youngest.” She paused and looked at me. “That’s all for now. Did you get it?”

“Yes Mrs. Kim.” I answered shyly and then she walked away.

I entered into my new room and I'm truly glad for the new chapter of my life. Nanay would be glad too if she sees me now. Dream City will be my new home. I don’t know what will happen next but I'm willing to embrace it if it meant success and happiness.

Waking up early isn’t hard for me. I used to wake up before sun shine in our province to help Nanay prepare food for Tatay before he starts his day at the Farm.

I looked for the bathroom finally found it at the side of the Kitchen. Ate Susan informed me that we are not allowed to use the Kim’s brother bathroom.

I don’t know why. Is there a difference between Maids Bathroom and their Bathroom? Oh yeah I know it. The sign attached at the door! Stupid Olivia. I slap my face lightly. The K maybe stands for Kim. And the M maybe stands for Maid.

I hurriedly take a bath because I take most of my time thinking the difference between the two Bathrooms. I wear plain T-shirt and pants enough to make me comfortable.

I don’t know where to start that’s why I asked Ate Susan who is now preparing food.

“Good Morning Ate Susan. Can you help me where to start cleaning?”

“Start it in the window. Use this.” She said giving me the spray and a piece of cloth. “I think you must wear short…it is more comfortable than wearing pants.”

“I don’t wear shorts and besides I'm more comfortable wearing pants.” I said and get the spray and the cloth in her hands.

This is effortless. I said after I finished doing all my chores.