[18; with affection]

Start from the beginning

"Oh, stop it." You playfully smacked her shoulder, prompting a small giggle in response. The brunette bobbed her head forward and extended her index finger.

"Shh. It's about to start now. You have to cheer on your boyfriend, right?"

You let out a flustered huff, but decided that correcting her wasn't worth the effort. Besides, she wasn't that far from the truth, anyways. If you were soulmates, it would mean that you'd even be married someday—a thought which made your cheeks burn even more. You were lucky the battle had just begun, otherwise you were sure you would've drowned in your own embarrassment.

"—And Todoroki is the first to strike, with a preemptive surge of ice!!"

You clenched your fists, watching as your soulmate's opponent unleashed a massive first blow. Katsuki was quick to retaliate, sparking off explosions left and right, but it seemed like the ice was steadily encasing him and he was already on the verge of being pushed off the arena.

Please no, not like this...!

Your bottom lip quivered at the sight before you, and you could only hold your breath as you heard a dull echo from within the icy enclosure. Todoroki stood absolutely motionless, waiting to see how his opponent would retaliate. Finally—

"As I would get done in so soon, half-assed!!"

You didn't even realize that you were smiling as Katsuki carved his way through the ice and propelled himself towards Todoroki's side. He screamed out a curse at the top of his lungs, grabbed the boy by the hair and sleeve, and threw him towards the opposite end with all his might. The only thing that kept Todoroki from falling out of bounds was the thick layer of ice that caught him right at the edge.

"Ah, damn," you grimaced. "So close."

The match was unraveling so quickly that you barely even dared to blink. Katsuki had taken note of Todoroki's brief falter near the arena's edge, and he took it as an opportunity to lunge back after him and spark off an explosion in his palms. Oddly enough, he wasn't striking the boy head-on—rather, it seemed like he was deliberately gunning for his left side. All at once, you remembered the conversation you'd listened in on earlier that day.

"I will get to the top without needing to use my left sidethis is my total disavowal of my shitty old man."

You saw it in the way Katsuki's lip quivered when Todoroki sent him flying backwards rather than using his flames; he was challenging him, to see if his opponent would unleash his full power, and yet Todoroki seemed unwilling to do anything of the sort.

Katsuki staggered backwards, quickly regaining his footing after sliding down the icy structure. He ran the back of his hand across his chin, eyes narrowing into slits.

"You still won't use it, huh?" he rasped. "So then, what? Are you trying to say that I'm not strong enough for you to need your full power? That's what you're trying to say, aren'tcha?!"

Todoroki's eyes widened; your own followed soon enough.

"How fucking dare you?!" Katsuki roared. "Stop making a fuckin' fool out of me, you shitty half-assed!! The first place I'm gonna be taking is the real fucking deal—I can't prove myself if I win against some shithead who's not even trying! If you don't even have any intention of winning, then don't stand here before me!!"

Katsuki broke out into a run, and even still, Todoroki didn't move an inch.

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL STANDING HERE, ASSHOLE?!!"