"Alright Darcy, let's get you inside so you can see mommy." He said after she had finished talking. He carried her inside, the front door shutting. Laughter from the girl and an older woman could be heard from outside. The older woman's laugh, I recognized immediately. It belonged to Caroline.

-

I was jolted awake by the sound of someone knocking on the door. I heard Mitch call out from the other room. There was some commotion, and quiet chatter between him and whoever was at the door.

I made a noise of protest as I pulled my tired self out of bed, and stumbled to throw on a pair of sweatpants. I checked the time on my phone. It was almost twelve. How could I possibly have slept in that late? I put my phone in my back pocket and went to investigate the noise. I walked out of my room and into the living room to see Mitch and Caroline talking, while Mitch brewed some tea in the kitchen.

What. is. happening.

Seeing her face immediately reminded me of my particularly strange dream, but I did my best to push it to the back of my mind.

"Caroline?" I interrupted, tilting my head in confusion. She spun around to face me, her wavy blonde hair swishing as she did so. She looked nice today. She had on a pair of ripped denim jeans, and a black Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

"Oh, hi Harry. I was just-" She paused for a moment, as her eyes drifted down to my torso. Maybe I should've put a shirt on. She cleared her throat and continued on, "I was just seeing if you were busy today. I took the day off, since I haven't had one in a while."

"I'm not busy."

"Alright. I was thinking we could do something." She said as Mitch brought her over a cup of tea, and she happily accepted it.

"So are you guys a thing now?" Mitch asked, sipping his tea slowly.

I glanced at Caroline, not really sure of what to say. We exchanged looks, and she decided to answer for the both of us.

"We're not."

That stung a little, I'll have to admit, but it's understandable.

Mitch just raised his eyebrows at us, his face full of doubt.

"I have to go now, but I'll see you guys later?" Mitch asked us.

"Yeah, see you later man," I replied. He nodded, and downed the rest of his tea, and headed out the door.

"He's not one for staying in one place too long, is he?" Caroline chuckled.

"He's usually here more often, he's just been with Sarah a lot recently."

"Who's Sarah?" She asked.

"His girlfriend," I explained. "She plays the drums. I think you'd like her. I don't know her that well though."

Caroline just nodded, and then said, "Go put a shirt on so we can go."

"What, don't you like me shirtless?" I joked. Her face immediately started to get red, and I laughed at her. She crossed her arms and pouted.

"Awe come on, I'm sorry." I cooed. She was still pouting. I made my way over to her and wrapped my arms around her torso, pulling her closer to me.

"I'm sorry, sunshine," I mumbled. She wrapped her arms around my neck and rested her forehead on her shoulder.

"Apology accepted."

. . . . .

Caroline Laurier

Sunshine. He called me sunshine.

No one's ever called me that before, but it made me inexplicably happy. As I stood there in his arms, I felt content against his warm skin. I brought my arms down from his neck, and traced the butterfly tattoo on his chest, and then the two birds on his pectorals. I didn't understand tattoos, or the appeal of having something stuck with you for the rest of your life. But there was something about his that made them intriguing.