Code?

I tip-top to look and find someone watching me. It was Don. As soon as I looked at him, his eyes grew wide.

I put my finger to my lip to shut up. I then gesture my fingers to come with me.

And his answer was to shake his head and then tell me to leave.

I flash him a child-like pout.

Eddie's screech made me jump to walk toward Don.

"If you don't leave with me, I'll force you," I whisper.

"Why are you even here? You were supposed to be Solomon, and why are you wearing a man's uniform? How did you even-"

"The important thing is if Eddie continues to act like a brat and breaks that glass case to grab the flower, everything here will collapse, and I don't want the father of my child to die here."

Don turns his back while Eddie is distracted to face me as he whispers, "This is why I had Solomon take you out of here. To protect you and our child."

"Oh, so you can rescue your lover?"

Don gave me a face. "What?"

"Yeah, I heard you and Eddie talking about some woman. Who is she, Don?"

"Claire," He grabs my shoulder. "Now it's not the time."

I slap his hands away angrily. "No, it's the fucking perfect time. I can not believe you. Do you have another woman? Are you living a double life that I and your brothers don't know about?"

"No, Claire, just listen-"

"Stop," I cut him off. I can feel the rage inside me, but I can't stress enough it's not good for the baby. "I don't want to know. I guess I'm just your sideline. And what of our child? You know what, never mind. I know what kind of guy you are."

Don groans and rubs his face, then sigh. "Are you done? Can I have a chance to explain?"

I look at Eddie, who doesn't seems to notice my presence - yet.

I turn my eyes back at those alluring blue eyes of his. God! Those eyes of his always get to me. "What is there to explain? I'm not part of your life. And here I am trying to rescue your ass because I still care even if you are on this job to rescue your lover."

"Claire, there is no-"

"Mr. Wolfe," Eddie's voice erupts and intervenes in our conversation. "Have you seen Mr. Dewitt?"

"No, sir."

"That's odd; I had him scout at that tunnel there to see if any of my gems have been taken."

"Tunnel?" I whisper.

I look up at Don as he scans the male uniform I'm wearing is probably that guy I knocked out earlier. I chuckle nervously.

"No matter, he probably lazy his ass off."

"More like he was sleeping after I knocked him off," I mutter, and that made Don look at me confused, but I saw a slight grin on his face.

"Anyways, I don't need him. What I need is that goddamn flower. Mordecai!"

Eddie continues to yell at Mordecai. I touch Don's hand to grab his attention. "Don, let's go. Please take all your men, and let's get out of here. This place will soon fall apart. The longer we stay here, the sooner we will get crushed under piles of earth's matter."

"I'm not leaving until he gives me what I want."

"You mean your lover," I ignore his face. "I know you care about her safety, but there has to be a way to save her. Do you know where she is?"

"I don't," Don says. "Eddie knows, and I won't leave here until I get to her."

I want to cry now, but I hold on to my tears. This is so heartbreaking. To risk things, this woman must be the most important woman in his life.

"I understand," I let his hand go. "I know you love her just as much as I love you."

"Claire-"

"No, I get it." Tears that were held have started to fall from my eyes. "After Eddie, I told myself I would never fall in love again until I met you. You somehow put yourself into my life. Although I wouldn't say I liked it initially, I couldn't resist the urge. I felt a connection. That spark. Something I never had with Eddie."

"Claire, I-" he reaches to touch my face, but I look away.

"Promise me," I say and face him with determination and grieving from love, but I keep myself strong because, with all this bullshit, my heart wants him. I want him. I still love Don even though he already has someone important in his heart. "Promise me you come out of here alive and unharmed."

"Claire-"

"Promise me!" I cut him off. He pauses, stares at me, and sighs.

Don nod his head and say, "I promise."

I swallow hard and glance at Eddie, who pays no attention. I lick my lips and approach Don. One whiff of his masculinity and broad body has always made my skin crawl, urging me to touch him in front of everyone here, but I fought it.

I tip-toed and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. "Don't die on me."

I pivot my feet and speed up my feet, heading back towards the tunnel until I run into Solomon, who looks worried. He looked at me and then at Don, who gave him a gesture.

"Here," I hand him that guy's gun to a confused Solomon. "I won't be needing this."

As I walk off silently crying.

Hey guys!!!

Here is the chapter. I hope all of you had a wonderful and safe Christmas. Though it sucks that we don't get to spend with families because of covid, you somehow all worked it out to stay connected with them. Anyways, the next chapter will be posted after New Year's.

Thanks for your patience and HAPPY READING!!!