Now it was Nick's turn to blush. "Uh...sorry, would it help if you weren't so close to me?"

Tala glanced at their close proximity, and a sudden, hungry light flashed in her eyes, the silver depths darkening to a deep molten steel. Her voice was decidedly huskier as she stammered. "U-Um...yeah, that would probably be good."

Nick quickly stood up and walked over to the other chair, sitting down and biting his lip as he tried to think of something to change the subject.

"Ugh, don't do that!"

He looked up. "Do what?"

She was purposefully looking away from him, shifting agitated in her seat. "Bite your lip..."

"Oh...sorry."

They were both saved when the handle to the study turned, and the door swung open, revealing Mr. Ward as he strode into the room.

Tala and Nick both jumped up as he entered, eager to distract themselves. "So?" Nick asked expectantly.

Charles looked up from the ancient tome he had been reading, slightly startled by their presence before seeming to remember he had told them to meet him here. "Ah yes, right, there you are." He said, giving them an encouraging smile as he walked over to his desk.

Tala and Nick exchanged glances, before Tala cleared her throat and asked. "Everything is ready?"

He glanced up before directing his attention back to several objects scattered across his desk. "Well, after a thorough reading of this tome, plenty of research and a bit of mystic work, I believe I now know how to perform this ceremony forwards and backwards."

Nick stepped forward. "A-and, you're sure this will work?"

He gave him another reassuring smile. "I'm sure. Although I can't be certain of what powers you will acquire once your repressed energy is unlocked."

"So when you say...powers, you mean like...super powers?"

Charles shrugged. "More or less, honestly what legends there are of Guardians are few and far between, and far less than consistent when describing their abilities. I must admit, I'm a bit excited to see the results."

Nick let out a heavy sigh and mumbled. "Well at least one of us is."

Charles walked around the desk and laid a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Nick, it's going to be alright. You trust me, right?"

Nick met his eyes. He'd always looked up to Mr. Ward, he'd been more of a father to Nick than his own had, being there when Nick needed him most, always willing to offer advice or guidance.

"I do, I trust you."

Charles smiled and squeezed his shoulder. "Good. Now, I have one or two more things to gather, and then we can get going."

Nick looked confused. "Going? I wasn't aware we were going anywhere."

Charles chuckled and moved back over to the desk as he nodded. "I'm afraid this ceremony is a bit complicated, and since it is such an ancient one, we'll need a special place to perform it." He looked up. "Speaking of, Tala."

She turned to him, eyebrows raised questioningly.

"Do you happen to know if there's a sacred grove anywhere nearby?"

Tala's brows furrowed in concentration as she thought. "There...there is one not too far from here I believe, just south of an old graveyard." She glanced at Nick. "Not too far from where you hit me with your car."

His eyes widened. "I hit you with my car?!"

She sighed. "Oh right...I forgot you gave up that memory. Yes, you hit me with your car, well, bumped is more accurate. It doesn't matter right now, what were you doing that night, do you remember?"