Chapter 17 - Night

Start from the beginning

Harry unlocks a gate to reveal dozens of horses grazing in their pens. My mouth is agape as I take in the beautiful creatures. He’s taking me horseback riding, AW.

“I used to muck out the stables when I was younger, got paid for it too,” he says.

“Do I even want to know what that means?” I ask.

“Clearing out the poo,” he chuckles. “Glamourous, I know. My father always said that if I wanted to learn to ride, I’d have to learn the responsibility that came with it.”

“Ew, like with a shovel? Or a hoe?” I scrunch my nose in disgust.

“There will be no hoes at the stables, Juliette,” he says, keeping a straight face in the cute way he does. We walk towards a pen with a black horse, entering it slowly. “This is my horse, Night. She’s the first horse I’ve ever ridden, my dad even let me name her.”

“She’s beautiful, Harry,” I nervously run my hand along her neck. “Why Night?”

A million reasons to why he named her Night come to mind as I realize the sentiment this animal must hold for Harry. There must be deep meaning engraved in her name. God, he’s so insightful.

“Because she’s the color of night,” Harry smirks. Or that too.

Night is equipped with a fine leather saddle, looking magnifcent.

“Have you ever ridden before?” he asks.

“Ah…well, I have. But it’s been years, I don’t even remember how to get on,” I admit.

“It’s a good thing you’ve got me…Harry Styles, riding extraordinaire,” he flips his hair, smiling wide.

“I imagine I’m in safe hands,” I tease.

“Okay, onto the stool you go,” he lifts me onto the mount in front of Night. “Now, one leg over the saddle…”

I attempt to follow his direction yet struggle to get my leg over the saddle. I find myself terrified of falling off the other end if I jump onto Night. Harry places his hand on the small of my back, rather close to my ass, as he lifts me up.

“Thank you,” I say, shyly. His hand lingers for a second longer, brightening my cheeks. “Where’s your horse?

“Right here, babe. Saddle up,” he winks, climbing right behind me rather swiftly. “It’s gonna be a bumpy ride.”

&&&

We ride in silence, our heartbeats in sync with the cool night sky. My back is to Harry’s; although, he sits quite close with his arms brushing past my hips as he mans the reigns. Within minutes, Night takes us away from the lights of the beautiful estate. Strangely, I spy flashes of light coming from the distance.

“What are those lights?” I wonder aloud.

“Bryce’s security team…let’s just say my family’s quite keen on safety,” he sighs. “Although, I’d say it’s more paranoia than simple precaution.”

“They’ll loosen up eventually. My parents are beyond strict. I have to be home by 10, even on the weekends! It’s ridiculous,” I ramble.

“But they let you come out here...to London, all by yourself,” he points out. “If I ever left the country, my parents would send out orders to the militia before my plane even lands.”

“It took a year of solid guilt tripping to get my way; trust me, they’d keep me at home, locked in my room forever if they could,” I say, suddenly missing my parents.