Chapter 17 - Night

NOTE: READ CHAPTER 16 - SMOKY THOUGHTS BEFORE YOU READ THIS! Make sure to vote for it if you have not already! If you have read it, carry on :) Enjoy this chapter! Comment as you go along & let me know what you think ; remember to vote at the end! xxx

Harry’s POV

“Out you go,” I offer my hand to a frazzled Juliette. She looks uncertain; nevertheless, she willingly obliges.

“Where are we?” she asks, right before her foot gets caught on a jagged rock. She spills into my arms as I grip her tight from falling any further. “Sh.it! It’s so dark, I can barely see the ground. I’m sorry!”

The tiny candle from my lantern illuminates her trembling face as she regains her balance. I aim the light towards her leg, inspecting for any injuries.

“The ground’s a bit rocky around the farm so the car won’t go all the way, but it’ll smooth over right through those gates,” I point towards the house. “Think you’ll be able to trek it?”

“Could’ve told me to wear hiking boots before you swept me through my window,” she laughs, walking beside me. “But, I’m fine. I think a scratch is the worst of it…and that I totally have two left feet.”

“I promise it’ll be worth it, you’ll see,” I assure her, placing my hand on the small of her back and leading her forward. Her eyes waver around as they adjust to the darkness surrounding us. The cool night air reminds me I should have layered Juliette before bringing her out to the range. I was in such a rush to get out the city and all I really wanted was her with me.

“So, what is this place?” she interrupts my thoughts, looking up expectantly.

“I’d rather show you then tell you,” I grin, placing her small hand in mine and leading her past the majestic gates. I nod to the watchman who takes my cue immediately.

Within a second, the entirety is sparked with arrays of light. The fountain in front of the grand farm house erupts to life, spewing water in five directions. Waves of color skirt the black night as I’m overwhelmed with a rush of memories. A pathway is carved by a string of pearlescent lights wrapped around tree branches. What was surrounded by darkness just moments before has now met its dawn in the dead of the night. A truly captivating scene painted by my father’s mind. I shudder at the thought of how much this place holds in my heart. Juliette’s wavering presence brings me back as I turn to face her.

“Welcome to the Styles Estate, Juliette,” I smirk, amused by her state of awe.

&&&

Juliette’s POV

“This is your…home?!” I exclaim, still in shock by the grand entrance. I quickly follow behind Harry as he leads the way up the path. I attempt to take in the pretty lights glowing all around. A garden of vines and trees carve our trail up to the house.

“I’d hardly call it that,” he chuckles. “It’s our family farm house. We used to come here a lot when Gemma and I were younger, like almost every weekend. It was like a sanctuary; still is one, I reckon.”

“I’m honored to be here, then,” I smile. To my surprise, we walk past the house and head towards the back. “We’re not going in?”

“”I had something else in mind…I think you’ll like it,” he says. Anticipation pools in my stomach as we turn the corner. We approach a massive red barn with an equally massive watchman in a matching uniform.

“Did the guard come with the barn?” I joke.

“You’d be surprised,” Harry chuckles, nodding in the man’s direction. The watchman swings the door open, slightly bowing as we enter. Must be a British thing. Harry continues on as I follow, the smell of hay and animals hitting me hard in the face. “Hope you don’t mind spreading your legs, babe. We’re going riding tonight.” Oh God.