~~~

"Can we stop? My butt needs a break." I asked my dad through the phone. We had been driving for hours and I desperately needed to stop sitting.

Alright. Let's use the next exit." I nodded, though she couldn't see me and followed his white car off the highway and to a diner. I parked my car next to his and got out. I stretched my back out, relieved I was out of the car. "Only an hour left. Let's eat something. I'm starving." I nodded and followed him into the diner.

"Hello. Table for two?" A woman asked when we entered the room.

"Yes, that would be great, thanks." My dad said.

"Follow me." We followed the waitress to a booth and she handed us our menus. "What drinks can I get y'all?"

"I'll take a coke."

"I'll have that too."

"Two cokes, coming right up." The waitress walked away and I looked at my dad.

"You know, you never told me why you took that job. The payment was practically the same, and it wasn't like you hated your other job." I said. I found out we were moving a month ago. My dad had gone up to me and told me that we were moving right out of the blue. I couldn't tell if I was more happy or angry. I hated Virginia with a passion and was ready to leave it, but I also hated to move constantly. I asked why he chose to move, but he never really answered. He would just avoid the question.

"Truth is, I did it for you. I know you hate moving, but you hated Virginia more. You had no friends, you hated the school, and all you did was sit at home. Not once did you go out or do anything. I wanted us to start again somewhere."

"Why is Silver Springs any different?"

"I grew up there. It is a small town, but it is wonderful. Nice people, good school, kind neighbors. I made a mistake taking you to Virginia. Silver Springs is different. I know it sounds skeptical, but trust me. This will be good for you."

"I get why you wanted to move. I don't understand how you think this will be any different from Virginia."

"I'm hoping you're going to try this time. The house is amazing, the school is good, and the people are nice. I have a brochure of the school if you want to look at it. It is big and the school has great programs, especially for college. Cassie, I want you to try to like this place. I don't want you being this moody teenager that won't try to like Silver Springs."

"I want to try. I just don't want to unexpectedly leave after making good friends. Not like before Virginia."

"I promise you that we won't leave unexpectedly. As long as you give Silver Springs a shot, I'll be happy."

"Fine. I'll give it a shot. But don't expect it to go well."

"Alrighty, here are your drinks. What would you like to eat?"

"I'll get a BLT burger," I said, handing her my menu. My dad ordered and the waitress left again. "I have another question for you."

"Okay, shoot."

"Why didn't you ever remarry after mom?" My dad sighed and took a small sip of his coke.

"Cassie, you know what happened when your mom left. It broke me. I loved your mom and she walked out on me--us. I didn't want that to happen again. That's reason number one. Number two is that I wanted to focus on you. Your mom and I contributed money-wise equally. With her gone, it got harder. I needed to focus on money and payments. We don't need to worry anymore but back then was a different time. Why do you ask?"