Blasts From Our Pasts

Start from the beginning

"I love you, dad." I smile.

"I love you too, my child."

We stand up and he walks me to the door.

"Have a safe trip and call me when you arrive."

"Thank you and I will."

***

The first thing we have to do is get to the gas station and fill the fuel tank as well as buy food and snacks.

"Priyanka, you're on snacks. Maxwell, you're on drinks." I pause to give him a stern look. "By drinks I mean water and juice. Bianca, you're on the food and I'm on fruit."

"Yes, ma'am!" They reply simultaneously and I roll my eyes.

I turn around from the passenger seat to look ahead as we drive into the gas station. 

"See you in a bit." I cheerfully peck his cheek before rushing out the door.

He'll be staying behind to fill the gas tank while we go inside the convenient store.

"Just to be clear, I can buy whatever I want because everyone is spending their own money, right?" Max asks.

"Don't try me." I glare at him and he raises his hands in the air.

"I was just checking." He chuckles and I shake my head, smiling.

We make our way through the glass doors which automatically close behind us. Immediately, everyone heads in seperate directions. I go to the fridge shelves where the fruit usually is.

"May?" Someone says and I stop in my tracks. "May."

This voice is familiar.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and swiftly turn around. My eyes widen.

"Shelly?" A large smile appears on my face and we immediately hug. "I can't believe this."

"What are you doing here? Did you and Lilly come for Thanksgiving?"

"Lilly didn't come. I came with Bianca."

"Bianca?" She smiles. "Where is she?"

"Shelly?" As if on cue, Bianca appears behind Shelly.

"I can't believe this." They also hug, like two best friends who haven't seen each other in almost a year.

"Look at you two." She beams, looking between Bianca and I.

"No, look at you." I comment.

Her long platinum blonde curly hair has now been straightened. Her beautiful face is enunciated with light make up and even though it's 11am, she looks like she could hit the runway.

"Canada has been kind to you." Bianca comments. "What are you doing here? Thanksgiving?"

"No," she shakes her head, "I actually got a call from someone. They said they had a business opportunity for me. I figured I could come for Thanksgiving and meet up with them. I'm actually on my way to the meeting now."

"That's wonderful." I smile. "I'm happy for you."

"Maya," the brightness in her face dims, "I'm sorry about what happened between us. It's been so hard not talking to you and-"

"What's going on here?" Max walks up to us, two packs of water bottles in his hands. "Made from recycled material."

He says the latter looking at me and I smile.

"Shells." He nods towards her. "You look good."

"Thank you, it's lovely to see you."

"So the whole gang is here." Shelly nods, her smile back. "Where's Justin?"