Chapter 4: The Children Pt.3

Start from the beginning

I let out a screech as I feel hands on my left shoulder and right knee.

"Get away from her!" I hear Mando shout as I turn to see two Jawas scurrying away from us. I hold the baby tighter to me as I shake like a leaf.

I hate Jawas.

I frown as everybody boards the sandcrawler to where 'The Egg' is to be found. I watch as Kuiil along with the small child follow the Jawas.

"You'll be alright." I jump at the sudden voice as I tilt my head up to see Mando standing by my side, watching the Jawas every move.

I bite my lip. "I-I don't like j-Jawas." I mumble softly as I shuffle on my feet.

"They won't touch you." I nod at his determined tone, a warmth spreading in my heart at his sudden determination in keeping me comfortable. Or maybe I was imagining it, he was after all still turning me and the baby in.

I follow the Mandalorian as he goes to enter the lair of the mudhorn.

"Stay here." He commands as he leaves the baby and I standing next to each other, well the baby is more like resting in his floating container.

My eyes widen as I see Mando's body suddenly flung into the air as the Mudhorn comes barreling out of the cave.

"Mando!" I shout worried and scared as he continues his fight, losing and getting more and more hurt. What do I do?! Should I get Kuiil or the Jawas? But what could they do?!

I watch as Mando is down and as the Mudhorn comes to barrel at him, he does the unthinkable.

He gets down on his knee and seems as though he's accepting death? No, no he can't! He can't die! Tears form in my eyes as my heart clenched at the very thought.

The Mudhorn runs at him as my eyes snap close and I feel a sudden energy leave me, I breathe heavily as my head pounds and my body is suddenly aching for rest.

And when I peak an eye open, I realize my hand is out, facing the floating Mudhorn. In surprise, I gasp and let my hand drop as I fall to the floor in exhaustion.

The Mudhorn falling to the floor as well and Mando quickly killing it.

My body aches and my head pounds, I groan as I close my eyes, laying on the floor. I feel as though I can't even raise my arms.

"Kid!" I hear from a distance. Why does my body hurt? Why is my energy gone? Did-did I really lift that thing? Or was my mind playing tricks on me from exhaustion and starvation?

I'm so tired. So, so tired. I don't even pay any attention to the arms that suddenly lift me. I don't feel any fear or sadness in these arms, I feel warm and protected. I feel untouchable.

And then I'm out.

My head throbs. I feel warm. My eyes slowly flutter open to see I'm in a cot. Blankets are thrown over me as I survey the small area, it's like a room.

My brows furrow as I slowly get up and explore the area. I'm in a ship? Oh. My face falls as I look down at my feet. The Mandalorian probably fixed the ship already, he's probably on his way to take me and the baby in.

I sit back down on the cot, staring solemnly at the wall in front of me. I bite my lip. I gave myself false hope, didn't I? I thought maybe Mando wouldn't turn us in, I thought he was nice, I thought-I think to much.

"How's your head?" I jump as I turn to see Mando resting against the small rooms entrance frame, his arms by his side, one hand gripping his blaster on his thigh holster.

Did-did he think I was dangerous? I frown as I stare at his hands placement. I'm not scary am I? I'm not dangerous.

He clears his throat, his hand slowly moving away from its position as my eyes snap to meet his visor. "I-I'm fine." I mumble as I look down at my hands in my lap.

"How did you do that?" He suddenly asks. I'm assuming he means the floating Mudhorn. I shrug softly. "I don't know." I whisper scared. Was I a monster? Would I hurt people if I don't have control of this sudden power? I frown as tears build up in my eyes.

"Thank you." My head snaps to meet him. What-

"You saved my life." I nod, wordlessly. "I-I just c-couldn't see y-you get hurt." I speak truthfully and I'm sure if he didn't have a helmet on, I'd see his shocked and curious features.

Why would a slave, his bounty, save him, the bounty hunter? I didn't know myself, I just knew I couldn't let him die. I couldn't bear to witness such a thing nor would I want a thing to happen.

He doesn't say anything. Just stares at me as I look down at my hands again, we stay in silence.

"Get some rest." He finalizes and leaves.

I lay back down on the cot, staring up at the ceiling.

Why did it hurt? Why did I feel sad and betrayed that Mando was turning us in? I bite my lip as tears roll down my cheeks.

He was nice, I know deep down he's good. He's not like the others. He cared when I was worried about Kuiil, he wanted to make me comfortable by giving me his name, he apologized for scarring me, he assured my protection with the Jawas.

Was it all because I was his bounty? So he did it to make my capture easier?

No. He didn't have to give me his cot, he didn't have to cover me and the baby with his cape back when we camped out in the middle of nowhere, he didn't have to give me his name, he didn't have to teach me how to ride a blurrg.

He was-is good. He's just following his rules, his code. And I don't blame him for it. He's just trying to do what most would, survive.

I turn on my side, facing the wall as I sniffle.

He's good. And I'll miss him.

I close my eyes as my breathing evens out.

I'll miss Mando.