Trusted Lies, Broken Smiles

(Part 1)

The thud of this boots on the hardwood floor woke me from the blackness I had stumbled into. His heavy, black boots, covered in mud and leaves trudged across the shiny floor over to the fireplace. He stood leaning on the mantle, staring at the floor; his green eyes, which usually told the enigmas of his thoughts, were empty with angst and obstruction. I hated how I had once trusted them.

I closed my eyes and tried to swallow the dryness in my mouth, only to choke; I winced at the pain in my chest as I tried to catch my breath.

Silence.

"Well," he finally whispered after a sigh of contemplation, "what now?" He turned to me, pushing himself off of the mantle with his forearm and took a step towards me. "Hey," he nudged at my foot with his boot, "what do you think?" I stared up at his shirt, dribbled with my blood and closed my eyes, hoping that if I tried hard enough I could make him disappear.

"Oh, yeah? Sounds like a good plan," he mocked. I could hear his boots start wonder away, towards the couch in the corner of the room. "A nap sounds like the perfect plan," I could hear him settle in the cushions. "And don't even think about trying something cute, baby doll. I'm a light sleeper."

I opened my eyes and started planning something cute.