CHAPTER 30 - ❝one-day surprise❞

Start from the beginning

I grab my tote bag up from the floor and walk towards the staircase. I ascend the staircase, feeling the hairs at the back of my neck standing all of a sudden and without warning.

That’s when I heard it: the hushed whispers coming from Giovanni’s office. Although he was somewhat whispering, he sounded angry even through the door of his office.

I wanted to let it go, but the bigger part of me wanted to know why he was so angry in the first place, so I tip toed to his office and paused right beside his closed door to listen in on the conversation.

It wasn’t very proper to eavesdrop, but if it concerned me, I needed to know what was said.

I hear a chair scraping against the marble floors and not long after someone sits down onto the chair. “She is the sister of the traitor.” Their dad says. “How many times do I have to tell you that?” His voice was loud and angry.

“She might be Antonio’s sister but she is nothing like him!” Giovanni argues. My heart warmed yet again to know that he was sticking up for me even when I shouldn’t know that he was sticking up for me in the first place.

“I’ve given you boys a lot of time to throw her out. But neither of you did. You disobeyed a clear order, multiple times. And now you’ve built her a pool house? In my backyard? She is a snake and she can’t be trusted. How do you know she’s not plotting to kill all of us in our—”

Pool house? What pool house?

“That’s absurd.” Giovanni cuts him off.

“No.” I can just imagine their dad shaking his head. I can imagine his lips setting in a firm line and I can already just feel the anger radiating through him. I didn’t even have to look at him to know that he was angry. “It’s not absurd. She cannot be trusted.”

Giovanni slams his hand onto the desk and I can just imagine all the papers and ornaments he had resting on his desk flying off. “I trust her!” He yells. “She is nothing like her brother.”

“I don’t give a damn if she’s like her brother or not.” Their dad says. “It’s in their blood to betray. I won’t let that snake live here a second longer!”

“That’s why we built the pool house!” Giovanni yells. “So that she lives in there instead of in the mansion. That way she’s not in your way!”

“I want her out of the entire premises or I’ll show her where the door is myself.” Their dad says, ignoring Giovanni’s previous statement. “I’ve been lenient this entire time. We gave her food. We gave her a bed to sleep in. We bought her brand new clothes and school supplies. She has taken enough from us. So I dare you, Giovanni, I dare you to disobey me again.”

I hear a chair being scraped backwards yet again and I quickly run to my room. I close the door behind me right when I heard the door to Giovanni’s office opening and closing again.

I throw my tote bag onto the floor and walk over to my bed. I sit down onto the soft mattress and wondered what I did for their dad to hate me as much. I know he doesn’t like my brother very much, but I never showed any of them not to trust me. I didn’t once try to kill them in their sleep.

Yes, I’m keeping secrets from them.

Secrets that can lead to death at some point, but it was my burden to carry.

If my brother truly is still alive, they will understand who the real enemy is.

The White Pistols.

If they know why my brother did what he did, they’ll see that my brother only had good intentions this entire time. Yes, Giovanni did sit in jail for a year, but he was safe all this time. He could’ve been six feet under right about now if it wasn’t for my brother.