35. Lessons in Distraction

Start from the beginning

We traveled the rest of the way into Goodneighbor with the afternoon sun still in the sky. Neither of us had made it back unscathed and Daisy laid into both of us at our bloody state when we entered the shop to trade with her.

"Nice of you to clean out part of downtown Boston of the scum, but did you have to get hit in the process?" she demanded, giving both of us a lecture and a quick bandaging of our various injuries. "I don't know anything about your fighting abilities, dear, but MacCready, you're better than that."

"Close quarters," came the shrugged explanation from the unrepentant mercenary. "Thanks, Daisy," MacCready said charmingly, giving her a flirtatious grin. "You're the best." He stood up, making his way around to the side of her counter.

"I know I am," she said severely, but with a smile for the charismatic young man. "Let's see what you've brought me this time."

"Hey, Boss, why don't you trade with KL-E-0 this time? I've got more stuff for Daisy than you do." He waved me off, pointing next door. Daisy raised her brows, giving him a searching look.

"Uh, sure." I was pretty sure he had more weapons in his pack than I did, but wasn't really in the mood to argue. "Thanks, Daisy." I called as I headed out.

"Anytime, dear. Now, let's see what you've got, MacCready..."

KL-E-0 was her usual dangerously seductive self, and I was able to barter the loot in my bag, mostly some random weapons, unneeded ammunition, and several smaller intact armor pieces, for a decent trade in caps and rounds fitting our own weapons. I perused the counter and displays behind the deadly robot, spying a scope I hadn't seen before. "What's that one, KL-E-0?"

"Ah," she fetched the item, placing it on the counter between us. "This lovely little gem just came in from a trading caravan. Exceptional sights, night vision capabilities, perfect for long-range killing."

I think Mac would like this. "How much?" The price named was high, but for a scope of that caliber, I didn't begrudge the caps. What am I saving them for, anyway? Gotta keep up the hope that I'm going home.

Wrapping my purchase in a scrap of cloth, and stuffing in into my bag for later, I stepped back into the square just as my Pip-Boy buzzed. MacCready was still chatting with Daisy, so I sat down on one of the scattered benches to see what the alert was. My RADIO tab was blinking, and I flicked the selector switch over hastily. Maybe there's an update. Did Tom find something else?

There was a message from Paladin Danse. "I spoke with Elder Maxson. He wishes to meet with you to discuss your predicament. Return to the Cambridge Police Station at your earliest convenience." I reviewed the words, my stomach twisting a little. Since the Railroad gave me several new insights into the nature and origin of my Pip-Boy, would the Brotherhood of Steel be able and willing to help? I looked up as MacCready walked over, a thoughtful expression on his face.

"What's up, Boss?" he asked, pointing to the screen. I played him the message. He listened intently, staring at the screen, then looked back up at me. "Danse wants us to go back to Cambridge?"

"Heh, in military parlance, 'at your earliest convenience' means 'as fast as you can possibly move'." I said, flicking back to the MAP screen to study it. "If we hustle, we can make it to Diamond City tonight."

"Do you want to meet with this Maxson person?" MacCready asked carefully, sitting down on the bench next to me. "If I remember correctly, this is the same Elder Maxson who turned the Brotherhood into fanatics down in the Capital Wasteland. Now he's up here, and we don't know why, or what they want."

I thought about his words for a long moment. "We won't know until we speak with him. I think Danse is trustworthy, though. He reminds me very strongly of one of my old First Sergeants, and I would have followed that man into fire if I had to. I doubt Danse would have set up a meeting if he didn't think the Brotherhood could help. We can get there tomorrow if we overnight in Diamond City." Suiting action to words, I hastily recorded a reply to send back. "We can be in Cambridge tomorrow evening at the latest, barring any resistance to our travel."

"Into fire, huh?" A wry grin teased the corner of MacCready's lips. "All right, Boss. Fire it is."

"Speaking of fire, or firing..." I dug into my pack, pulling out the cloth-wrapped scope. "Here. I hope you like it."

His eyebrows rose in surprise and he didn't immediately take the gift until I pressed it into his hands. "What's this? For me?" His voice was soft, awed, eyes glittering.

"Call it part payment for the long-term bodyguard work." I explained. "I don't want to lose you now to a better offer."

He laughed, low and a little rough, unwrapping the cloth. "This isn't necessary, you're not going to lose me. I told you, Boss, I don't break my contra- holy crap!" Holding up the scope, he ran his long calloused fingers down its length, adjusting the focus, peering through it with a quiet gasp. "Night vision, too?" Almost reverently, he detached the old battered scope on his sniper, placing it into his pack with a pat. With swift sure movements, the new scope clicked into place. "This is perfect! I love it. Thank you." He smiled at me with that rare, unguarded smile that caused a flutter in my stomach.

"Now you can see your targets at night, too!" I replied, smiling back. "You're welcome. I'm glad it's useful." Standing up, I slung my nearly empty pack over my shoulder. "Let's get to Diamond City."

"Why not stay here?" MacCready asked, giving me a look I couldn't read. "The room's free."

"One, we're that much closer to Cambridge, so we'll have more time to deal with any delays." I explained, holding up the MAP screen for him to read.

"And two?" He queried.

"Two words: Hot Shower."