Chapter 1

RPOV
"ARGHHH!" I woke with a scream of pain nobody heard.

I had a pretty high pain threshold, but this way beyond insane. It felt like I was being ripped in two.
I couldn't call Lissa-she was at Lehigh while I'd been assigned to Court. I couldn't call Christian-that would just be awkward, even when I know he's keeping an eye on me and is at Court taking online college classes; I know he'd give me hell after whatever this was went away.

"F-" I bit back another scream.

Whatever was going on, it was beyond painful and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't call Eddie-I was barely on speaking terms with him since he was still pissed at me for the Vegas incident and the punishment he was still serving with me as a Court guardian. I couldn't call Adrian-we hadn't ended on too good a note, and he was in Palm Springs; Tatiana had put me in charge of finding Lissa's half-sibling in order to announce Lissa as her heir. Only for Jillian Mastrano-Dragomir to be targeted and killed, then resurrected by Adrian.
I couldn't call Mia-she was at college in Florida. And I certainly couldn't call Dimitri; after having tried to truly move on with Adrian-and promptly failing-I didn't initiate conversation with him for fear of angering him again. If he started up a conversation, I was barely courteous. Tasha had tried to get him, but he'd turned her down again; I have no clue why- I'd seen it from the shadows every time she tried to come on to him he constantly pushed her off, literally. He hadn't had his guardian status reinstated yet-despite all Lissa's efforts-and I could tell having nothing to do was annoying him. That being sai-

"BIATCH!" I screamed as the pain ripped through me again.

Only this time was it felt at least twice as painful, more like twenty. How was anything so damn painful? I needed to call someone. But who? Almost everyone I knew was out of the question-including my mother and the old man, since she'd returned to Turkey or Russia with Abe, as his guardian.

If the next time I feel this and it's worse, I'm going to have to call in the only big guns I know. That meant getting over the antagonistic, love-hate, one-side's-still-heartbroken relationship.

That pain arrived seconds later. "MOTHER-!" I screamed in agony.

Oh god! Just get over it already and admit you need help, you're Rosemarie Hathaway for crying out loud! You're a guardian and guardians-or even ex-guardians-tend to help each other out. I hope.

"Belikov here," Dimitri answered his phone.
"Dimitri, I need help. And before you start, you're my last resort right now," I rushed out through my panting.
"Rose? Wha-"
"FU****G HELL!" I screamed in agony as pain worse than the last time tore through my body. "Just help! I feel like I'm being ripped in half!"
"I'm on my way, Rose," frantically rushed out Dimitri before hanging up.

The pain was so bad I couldn't even begin to let that frantic tone get to my head. It was likely he was only concerned about me because of Lissa. He didn't entirely worship her now, but he was still staying loyal.

A knock sounded on my door as sound as another wave of pain hit me, causing a scream to tear itself from my mouth. Seconds later, my door's been kicked in and I barely register the man who I once referred to as Death in a cowboy duster sweep in and scoop me up to be cradled in his arms.

"Did you have to make a scene kicking in my door?" I asked sarcastically through gasps.
"Yes, Rose. I did," he responded seriously, while looking me in the eye with the intense look I haven't seen since before he was turned. "I've heard that type of scream before, Rose," his eyes flicked around while he ran towards the Court's hospital.
"Wh-what?" I questioned, still short of breath and trying to ignore the pain. "What are you talking about?"
"Rose," he sighed, almost regretfully. "I was there when Karo went into labour with Paul."
"Are you trying to say?" The pain was not letting my brain work properly at all.
"You're p-"
"ARGH!" I screamed again.

The pain was nearly unbearable. Scrap that! It Was unbearable-practically the definition of the word.

Dimitri started yelling for help the millisecond he barrelled through the doors. How many times had he taken me to the clinic back at St Vlad's? It didn't matter now.

A nurse came and asked what was wrong. Dimitri voiced his suspicions. I didn't refute them because I had never felt such intense pain before. Not even dying had been this painful.

The nurse erred on the side of caution, and had Dimitri put me in a wheelchair.
"Your job's done, Dimitri!" I called over my shoulder as I was wheeled away. I could swear I saw the tiniest head shake and a fire in his eyes, a determination to find out what was wrong with me.

The room I was led to was an ultrasound scanning room in the maternity ward. I think. If it wasn't, then the next room I was led to most certainly was in the maternity ward. Because it was the damn delivery room. I was a full nine months pregnant and nine centimetres dilated. Oh! And I was in absolute agony.

"Get Dimitri bloody Belikov in here!" I screamed louder than I ever had before.

I didn't care if he'd believe or not right now, because, in this moment, I at least needed someone with a pain threshold nearly as high as mine. The part of me that was still mad at him for treating me the way he had after being restored wanted him to hurt in a way I'd never known I'd be able to. This was-very possibly-the ultimate payback.