five

Here's the thing about royal parents- they never really "parent." I mean, the only real life comparison we had to this was Princess Diana, and we all know how that tragically ended for her. It felt like since then every single royal family was afraid to step up to the plate and actually be there for their children- and Lorena felt the same exact way about her parents, especially her mother. 

Lorena skipped all the way down the stairs to the back door, waiting for Ross and Rydel to enter and greet her. Princess Sofia finally agreed to having Rydel come over to give Lorena singing lessons, and she was off the roof exited for this opportunity. Lorena wanted to spend as much time around Ross and his family as much as she could, especially since these were her first real-life friends aside from Benji. She hadn't even had a conversation with Rydel yet, but she was just itching for some female companionship. You couldn't blame her, right? 

But to her surprise, Ross and Rydel weren't the pair that strolled in through the back entrance first. Sofia had her arm wrapped around the bicep of a tall mysterious man. He had dark hair, a handsome beard, and dark brown eyes almost identical to Lorena's. It was clear this man was also hispanic, and judging by the way he was dressed, he was definitely of some sort of higher power. 

"Oh, Lorena! We were just coming to look for you," Sofia cheered in a tone that sounded almost the complete opposite of her natural one. 

Lorena tilled her head, blinking at the man in front of her. "We?" 

Sofia removed her grasp from the man, now tugging on her daughter's sweatshirt. "Mateo, you have to excuse my daughter's appearance. She must have been waiting for that new friend of hers to arrive," She told the man, batting her eyes up and down Lorena's body. 

In that moment, Flora came rushing in to accompany them. The woman was breathing heavily from running across the corridors to get here on time. "I- I don't understand. Who are you?" Lorena argued, removing her mother's hand from her outfit. 

"This is Señor Mateo DeLeon, a new friend of your father's," Flora introduced, still breathing loudly and receiving an annoyed look from Sofia. 

"You're late, Flora. I had to get Mateo myself," Sofia snapped, sending a cold wave of shivers through Flora's tiny body. 

Flora rested her lips together as she struggled to say, "I apologize, mam'." 

Lorena shook her head in confusion, "I'm sorry, what?"

Flora hesitated her next step, "Your mother invited him over to get to know you," She hinted, pushing her eyebrows up and down at the princess.

"Okay, but on the day where she knew I was having my first friend over? I'm sorry mami, you just can't invite people over against my will,"  Lorena hissed, throwing her hands in the air. 

Princess Sofia kept the same stern expression on her face. "Actually- as your mother, I can. Now go upstairs and change into better clothing. You can meet your friend after your day  with Mateo." 

Mateo cleared his throat, finally finding the time to step in. "It's okay. I did not mean to intrude, Princess Lorena. I can wait until you have had your time with your friend. This seems rather important to you."

Sofia laughed mockingly, "Nonsense. She'll never come out of that room if that's the case. The table is already set for you two to have breakfast. Go on now and be back in 10 minutes, unless you don't want to have the rest of the evening with your friend." 

And just when Lorena's timing couldn't get any worse, Ross and Rydel walked in with a box of Dunkin Donuts in their hands, laughing through their conversation.