Chapter 14: The White Rider

Start from the beginning

"Orc blood!" Gimli cries, spitting. How did an orc's blood get onto a leaf? I wonder.

"These are stange tracks." Aragorn says, head lowered, looking at the ground.

"The air is so close in here." Gimli complains, and I understand what he means. The air is thick, and almost difficult to breath.

"This forest is old.. Very old." I roll my eyes at Legolas, smirking slightly. Duh. "Full of memory, and anger. The trees are speaking to each other."

My eyes widen in surprise as the trees start to groan slightly, resulting in Gimli jumping and raising his axe.

"Gimli!" Aragorn whispers.

"Huh?" Is Gimli's reply.

"Lower your axe."

"Oh!" The dwarf hids his axe behind him guiltily, still glancing around anxiously, and the trees stop making noises.

"They have feelings, my friend. The elves began it- waking up the trees, teaching them how to speak." Legolas smiles as he talks, and I smirk as Gimli begins to grumble.

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings."

"Aragorn, nad nâ ennas! (Aragorn, something is out there!)" Legolas hisses, stepping forwards. What is he saying?! I wish I could understand elvish...

"Man cenich? (what do you see?)" Aragorn whispers, looking around. Is something wrong?

"The White Wizard approaches." Legolas says softly, and I grip my swords, holding them out. I grit my teeth. Saruman...

"Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us. We must be quick!" Aragorn instructs, pulling out his sword. Legolas holds his bow and fits an arrow onto the string, Gimli holding a smaller axe. I exhale slowly, preparing to throw my right sword at the Wizard and perhaps cut off his neck with my other. These swords are quite light, and the Mithril will pierce pretty much anything. Aragorn nods, and we spin around in unison. Shouting, Gimli throws the small axe at the white light before us. It's definitely Saruman. Legolas releases his arrow at the same time as I let go of my sword, both spinning towards the figure. The axe, bow and sword are sent in different directions, Gimli's axe flying to the side, arrow flying past Saruman and my sword coming straight back towards me, whistling through the air. I duck as it whizzes through the air, landing with a loud clang, against a stone. Aragorn lifts his sword to swing, but it glows red and he drops it will a yell. The white light becomes unbearably bright and I shield my eyes, peeking through my fingers at the figure sillhouetted.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits." Saruman says.

"Where are they?" Aragorn yells.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" He asks, and I frown. He doesn't sound like the evil wizard... I am suddenly uncertain of who the figure is.

"Who are you? Show yourself!" Aragorn cries.

The light dims rapidly, and a wizard adorned in white smiles at us.

"It cannot be!" Aragorn gasps.

"Forgive me. I mistook you for Saruman." Legolas apologises.

"I am Saruman. Or rather Saruman as he should have been."

I stand in front of Gandalf, mouth wide open in shock.

"But you fell.." Aragorn whispers. Aragorn nods.

"Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again! I've been sent back until my task is done." Gandalf explains, and I shut my mouth.

Gandalf is back. Merry and Pippin are alive. Is Boromir going to hop out of the bushes now, alive and well?

"Gandalf." Aragorn mumbles.

"Gandalf?" He raises his head slightly, remembering. "Yes. That's whar they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name." He chuckles lightly.

"Gandalf!" Gimli laughs. I smile.

"I am Gandalf the White. And I have come back to you at the turn of the tide."

We all stand in silence, gazing at each other, before I suddenly lose it and dash up to the wizard and embracing him in a tight hug. Gandalf pats my back fondly, chuckling softly.

"I can't believe it..." I whisper, releasing him. "Boromir... He.. He's..." I do not want to say the word.

Gandalf smiles solemnly at me.

"I know."

I bite my lip and turn around, facing Legolas. Legolas drapes his left arm over my shoulder, pulling me close.

"Come." Gandalf the White beckons, and we begin to follow him deeper into Fangorn. Legolas doesn't release me, and I don't complain. "One stage of the journey is over, another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras?" Gimli questions. "That is no short distance."

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the King." Aragorn says, and I nod.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured." Gandalf exhales deeply.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing. Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank, tree-infested..." Gimli trails off as the trees start to groan once more, and starts back-pedaling. I snicker, and Legolas smiles in amusement. "I mean charming, quite charming forest?"

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf murmurs.

I frown in confusion, looking to Legolas for an answer. He looks at me and his lips curl into a smile.

"In one thing you have not changed, my friend." Aragorn says, standing beside Gandalf. He smiles as he looks at the wizard.

"Hm?" Gandalf raises an eyebrow.

"You still speak in riddles."