Summertime Kids

The past

"I'm gonna marry you, Iwa-chan!" A huge grin took over Oikawa's face as he made his proposal to six-year-old Iwaizumi.

Iwa didn't look very surprised, maybe because they were only six and didn't really know what marriage was, or maybe because he just always wanted to be with Oikawa. Or maybe he wasn't listening because he was too concentrated on the stag beetle he had just found. "Ok."

The sun shone down, the humid air laying heavy around everything. Cicadas chirped and clicked, setting the scene for a typical summer atmosphere.

"C'mon, let's go to your house and eat popsicles! It's so hot outside!" Oikawa grabbed Iwaizumi's hand and yanked him off the ground, where he had been staring at his beetle.

At Iwa's house, the two boys sat on the floor eating their popsicles and doing their own separate activities. Oikawa scribbled with some crayons on a piece of paper, his tongue sticking out of his mouth in concentration. Iwaizumi dragged his finger across his picture book full of animals, looking for the stag beetle.

"Hi, boys!" They both looked up in surprise to see Iwaizumi's mom standing in the room. "I just wanted to check in! Do you want some more popsicles?" She smiled at them. She was always happy to see Oikawa over because she knew he was special to her son.

"Okaa-san! (a/na term used to refer to someone else's mother *as far as I know!*) I'm gonna marry Iwa!" Oikawa beamed at the woman who smiled at his cuteness, despite her slight surprise.

"Well, you have to wait until you're an adult to decide who you want to marry. And you have to love that person a lot, so maybe wait a little!" The mom laughed a little and went to get two more popsicles.

Oikawa's face scrunched up in a frown. "That's dumb, let's be married now!" He crawled over to Iwaizumi, who was still studying his book, used to his best friend's antics. "Iwa-channnn!"

Iwa looked up at Oikawa who was at this point clinging to him with a pout. "Ok, Kawa." He smiled a little which in turn made Oikawa grin from ear to ear.

"I'm gonna stay with you forever and ever!"