Chapter 20: Wedding Bells

"Such a shame none of your friends could be here," Harriet said.

"I honestly don't mind, Mom," Goldie answered. The truth was that she'd lost touch with most of her friends, even the ones from college. The babies and Jeff took up most of her time, and she was just fine with it.

Goldie was standing in front of her mother in a winter wedding dress, nothing too fancy, since no one would really see it, but Goldie thought it looked nice.

She'd approached Jeff the night before about how publicized their wedding would be, because there was no way she could avoid a confrontation with Griffen if he got wind of it.

"If you're saying you don't want my team to put out a press release, that's not a problem," Jeff assured her. "We can keep it completely off the grid. May I ask why, though? Do you not want anyone to know?"

Goldie thought fast and hard. "I don't know, I guess after what happened with Pippa, I'm just nervous about anyone knowing anything about us, you know? I mean, I know she wasn't targeted because she's Philippa Ormonde, Jeffrey Ormonde's daughter, but it still feels, I don't know, a little scary?"

Jeff put his arms around her and kissed her temple. "Of course, of course, no one need know at all."

"Thank you."

"Goldie?" Her mother's voice pulled her back to the present, and the wedding dress she was currently modeling for her. "Is that the one you want?"

Goldie nodded. "It's not too fancy, and not too expensive, either," she said.

"You know, your father and I wanted to talk to you about that," Harriet began. "I know Jeff said he was paying for everything, but we always planned to pay for a wedding for you if and when the time came. Should we push harder? Offer to pay for some?"

Goldie shook her head. "He means it, Mom."

"He does," Jeff echoed, entering the spacious, mirror covered fitting room. "No pushing on this, I'm paying for it all."

"Jeff! You're not supposed to see the bride in her dress before the day, it's bad luck!" Goldie gasped, looking for a place to hide.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry!" Jeff covered his eyes, but of course it was too late. "I guess you can't wear that dress, then."

"But it's perfect," Goldie objected. "It's not too showy, reasonably priced—"

"And totally boring," Jeff finished for her.

He turned to Harriet. "May I speak to my fiancée alone, please?"

Harriet nodded and stepped out to a hallway with chairs.

"Did you see the look on your mum's face?" Jeff asked, carefully taking Goldie in his arms. "The complete and utter lack of excitement? You're her only daughter, and hopefully this is your only wedding, right? Please, don't think about lack of showiness or cost. Think of her. Christ on a bike, think of me."

"You? You care about my wedding dress?" Goldie was surprised.

"Well, I like to think this will be my only wedding as well," Jeff responded, smiling, dimple popping. He brushed his curly hair off his forehead. "And, even though it was pulled together rather quickly, I want it done right, you know? I've just come from being fitted for a wedding tux with my dad, and it's not a tame little suit, I assure you. I'd love to see you in something resplendent, opulent, glorious, you know?"

Goldie stared at him, a small smile playing about her lips. "Really?"

"Yes. Just because it's not going to be a huge wedding, doesn't mean I don't want things done right. I'm already being spared the cost of splashing out on a huge do, so please, pick a nice, expensive dress." He looked down at the table, where a binder full of photographs of dresses sat.