ii. The Parting of Ways

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, but we still can't do it," Mickey points out.

"The Doctor always said the TARDIS is telepathic! She's alive, she can listen!"

"The Doctor said that she's dead. She can't hear us," I tell us.

"We need to get inside!" Rose bounces, making my eyes widen. "Last time we saw you, with the Slitheen," she turns to Mickey. "This middle bit opened up and there was this light and the Doctor said it was the heart of the TARDIS. If we can open it, we can make contact. I can tell it what to do!" she explains.

"Rose..." Mickey trails off.

"If you go back, you're gonna die," he murmurs. "You both will..."

"That's a risk I've got to take," I tell Mickey. "I... I can't let him die..." I shake my head. "But that doesn't mean... Rose I can do this on my own," I turn to her.

"Yeah, that's not happening," Rose snorts. "I told you, us and him are family, I'm not leaving him," she smiles.

Mickey sighs, looking between us. "Ok... let's get this thing open," he decides and I smile at him. "Thank you, Mickey Mouse," I tell him, smiling.

"Don't thank me yet, Lex," he smiles back. "Still have to make it work," he sighs.

**********

Rose and I are standing beside the console, watching the chain that is attached to the console and Mickey's car. "Faster!" I call.

"It's not moving!" Rose yells.

I bite my lip, watching the chain tighten then shudder and break off. I shout in frustration, Rose kicking the console before we both slump down in the jump-seat. Mum comes in and stands beside me, rubbing my back. "It's never going to work, sweethearts and the Doctor knew that; he just wanted you safe," she tells us gently.

"We can't give up," Rose protests.

"Lock the door, walk away-"

"Dad wouldn't give up," Rose looks up at her, narrowing her eyes.

"Well, he's not here, is he?" she retorts sharply. "Even if he was, he'd say the same," she shakes her head.

"No, he wouldn't," Rose backs me up. "He'd tell us to try anything! If we could save the Doctor's life? Try anything!"

"Well, we're never gonna know!"

"I do! Cause... I met him... we both met dad!" Rose tells him.

"Don't be ridiculous," mum shakes her head

I grab Rose's hand in mine, tears welling up. "Remember when dad died? There was someone with him... a girl," Rose's voice cracks. "A blonde and they held her hands..." I squeeze her hand, tightly. "You saw her from a distance, mum!" Rose stands up. "You saw her! Think about it! That was me! You saw me!"

"Stop it," mum whispers.

"That's how good the Doctor is!"

"Stop it! Just stop it!" mum runs from the TARDIS.

*********

Rose, Mickey and I are leaning against his car. "There's got to be something else we can do," Mickey sighs, folding his arms.

"Mum was right... maybe we should just lock the door and walk away," Rose mutters miserably.

"You can if you want to... but I won't. I refuse to!" I shake my head.

"No, I'm not having that, Rose," Mickey cuts in, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "I'm not having you just... give up now, no way! We just need something stronger than my car, something bigger..." he trails off. "Something like that!" he laughs.