Chapter 12: Strong Arm, Strong Heart

"MOTHERFROGGING SON OF A CICAEDA!"

Hop Pop threw the brown - spotted, worm eaten cabbage he had just pulled from the ground over his shoulder, the rotten vegetable splattering across the dirt.  Anne and Sprig winced and stepped back a little, Sprig almost dropping the only two good carrots they'd harvested.

For some reason, during that particular season, the Plantar's crops had all fallen victim to blights , worm infestations and diseases of all sorts.The carrots,pumpkins, potatoes, cabbages,corn, turnips.....they all suffered. They could barely scavenge enough decent crops to sell, leaving Hop Pop constantly stressed over food, necessities and whether or not he and his three grandkids would even be able to survive the year.

Hell, if things got worse, he may even have to consider selling good ol Bessie! After all...she was another mouth that he'd have to find a way to feed.

Anne watched her frog grandfather  curse and shake, rubbing his temples as a new wave of stress washed over him.The nine year old wished she could help him, wished that she could bring the crops back in some way and make sure her family didn't have to worry about money anymore.

But she didn't know how.

Neither did Sprig, who looked sadly at the very small pile of produce they'd managed to harvest.

A small pumpkin, five turnips, the two carrots in Sprig's arms, six onions.......so far they really didn't have much. Not enough to sell to buy themselves food.

Hop Pop trembled with anxiety, walking back to the house. He couldn't even look at his grandkids. Every time he did.....he felt as if he was failing them. Failing to provide for them, protect them.....failing to ensure that their lives would be happy and that they could live out their childhoods without worry or struggle.

Anne slowly walked after him, watching as he sat down on the couch next to Polly, who was asleep in her bucket, snoring softly as her grandfather looked down at her, his eyes tired and sad.

"......I'm sorry I can't do more for you kids...." he said quietly,his  voice hoarse.

".....You do a lot for us,Hop Pop."

Hop Pop turned to see the little human standing in the doorway, looking concernedly at him.

"You do a lot! You play with us, and read books to us,  cook us dinner, and all kinds of stuff!"

She went over and sat next to Hop Pop, hugging him, doing all she could  think of to comfort him as he looked down at her, unsure of what to say in response.

Anne  felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Hop Pop smiling down at her,his eyes now full of both sadness and affection.

"Anne, honey, I appreciate you sayin all that....Don't you worry about your ol Hop Pop, I'm just... just a bit worried....about the crops and money, but it'll all  work out, we'll get through this, we always do...we...we..."

His smile faded, and he turned  away.

"......Why don't you and Sprig go play with Ivy? I need to go count up how much money we've got left.....see what I can get us to eat...."

He went upstairs, Anne watching as he went into his study and closed the door. She let out a sad sigh, going outside, feeling ice cold despite the  fact that it was a hot summer day, the bright white sun  shining above her.

Sprig was pulling at the potatoes, a small pile of blackened, rotted potatoes by his feet as he pulled at yet another one.

"Dang!" He exclaimed , upon seeing that the potato, like the others, was blighted and black.