She had gotten used to not really having any friends. She was really lonely, but she had moved past the constant yearning for someone to talk to and connect with. This was the first time in years that she had this kind of desire to be close to someone else. She wasn't sure why she was all of a sudden feeling like this for a girl she hadn't even talked to yet.

The next time Brittany looked over at the girl, she had started talking to a blonde-haired girl and was no longer watching Brittany dance. Brittany felt a little disappointed that she had lost the brunette's attention. And for some reason, she felt a little jealous of the blonde. She really wanted the brunette to be talking to her and be her friend, not that other girl.

Brittany had stopped dancing and was paying such close attention to the other two girls that she jumped, startled when the gym doors banged open. She turned to see an older woman wearing a tracksuit in McKinley red and white stride quickly in, holding a megaphone and a clipboard. She had short blonde hair and a scowl on her face, and Brittany was a little scared at the woman's intimidating demeanor.

"Listen up ladies!" Brittany flinched as the woman, who she assumed was the coach, yelled into the megaphone. "If anybody doesn't know who I am, you should leave immediately."

Brittany looked around to see if anyone was leaving, unsure if she should walk out since she didn't really know who the woman was. Nobody else was moving, so she stayed where she was and the woman continued to yell through her megaphone.

"But since I like to make an entrance, I will introduce myself anyway. I am National Championship Cheerleading Coach Sue Sylvester! I may or may not also be an international spy, but you didn't hear that from me."

Brittany was pretty sure the thing about being a spy wasn't true. If it was, then the coach was probably the worst spy ever, since she just blew her cover by telling everyone there about it. She wondered what it would be like to be a spy. She figured it would be pretty cool, but she wouldn't like having to use a gun or be in danger or anything. So she probably didn't want to be a spy.

Brittany really didn't like confrontation or people yelling, which was why she didn't like the way the coach was yelling through the megaphone. It was making her really uncomfortable. All of a sudden, she really wanted to find that pretty dark-haired girl again. She looked around the gym, trying to find the girl as the coach loudly spoke. She was disappointed when she couldn't find her.

"After warm-ups, you will be divided up into two groups to learn a routine. After you complete that group routine, you will then be split into smaller groups based on your capabilities so I can get a more individual look at your skills. Once that is finished, I will make my cuts and post the rosters for the main squad and the alternate squad. And as you older girls know, just because you were on the squad last year doesn't mean that you will make it again this year. So impress me!"

Brittany wasn't really concerned about making the main squad. She just really wanted to maybe get on the alternate squad or something so she could hopefully get to know some of the girls and maybe make some friends. She needed to do well enough to at least impress the coach and the other girls so they might like her. She wanted to meet at least one person who could help her through the maze of hallways at school, not to mention the increasingly confusing homework she was sure to have.

Before she knew it, Brittany was put into a large group of girls to learn the routine that Coach Sue had outlined for them. The routine was fairly simple, in Brittany's opinion. She had been dancing for so long and had so many dance routines choreographed for her or that she choreographed herself that she picked up moves quickly. She found herself mastering the routine after the first run-through, and she really wanted to add her own moves to it, but she held back. She didn't want the coach to think she didn't know what she was doing or that she questioned the coach's abilities.