the spring god's boredom

—————

—————

long long ago, the world was known to only have one season: spring. days were always warm and sunny, while the grass was green as can be. flowers were never shy to bloom and the smell of fresh rain would permeate the air. in the middle of it all, was jaemin, the god of spring himself.

he lived a life of free spiritedness, normally prancing among the fields of flowers and grass barefooted while playing with the nymphs and satyrs of the land. and occasionally, the mortals who happen to stumble upon his divinity.

"jaemin!" called one of his dryad friends, namely donghyuck. the boy ran towards the god with open arms, a bright smile curved across his sun kissed features.

jaemin looked up from his place sitting in the grass and returned the smile, standing to capture donghyuck in an embrace. "what brings you here hyuckie? did you get mark mad again?" he asked, slightly sniffing in the dryad's woody scent.

donghyuck looked up from jaemin's chest, where he had buried his head during impact, with an expression of mischief. "maybe, maybe not. we'll see." jaemin only rolled his eyes at the dryad, familiar with his playful ways and things with annoying mark, a naiad who was almost always the target of his pranks. "will you protect me if he comes?"

"it depends," the god decides. "what did you do today?"

a giggle bubbles up donghyuck's throat as he retold the story of how he replaced mark's whole shell collection with carved up wood chips. "the shells are still safe," he adds. "just hidden."
shaking his head and feigning disappointment, he gently flicks donghyuck's forehead which elicited a whine from the other.

later when they did see mark, the poor boy was sitting on one of the bigger rocks that protruded out of the stream. he was curled up in a ball, a pout on his face as he rested his chin on his knees. at the sight of donghyuck, his pout seemed to only deepen.

"looks like you really upset him this time hyuckie." jaemin says, giving donghyuck a pointed look. usually, mark would be chasing donghyuck around by now, threatening to drown all of his saplings but now, he was just sitting there sulking. he made no move to even run after donghyuck.

"oh c'mon, he's just acting. right as i step close to him, he's gonna tackle me. i'm sure of it." donghyuck squinted his eyes at mark. skeptical or not, jaemin knew the two would make up after whatever 'fight' they have. that's just how it always worked.

jaemin looked at donghyuck, then over at mark, an idea brewing in his mind. "hey mark!" he calls out, giving out their spot near the bushes.

donghyuck nearly screeches as he is behind him and all jaemin could do was giggle at the boy's antics. mark on the other hand, looked up from whatever he was tracing along the rock and grinned seeing as it was jaemin who called him. he raises his hand to wave at the other, only to have his arm stop midway once he saw a familiar tuff of brown hair behind the god.