[16; recognition]

Start from the beginning

Just what is it that he's hiding from me?

All of the preceding battles had elapsed, and it was now time for your dreaded match to begin.

You knew that Katsuki wouldn't go easy on you, no matter what, but he also wanted you to give it your very best. In a way, it was nice that he was intent on taking you so seriously, even though the disparity in strength was so large.

I mean, yes, he IS stronger than me, but that doesn't mean I should just roll over without trying. I'll give it my best shot, and be proud of myself regardless of the result.

You heaved a sigh. Well, that was easier said than done, but still.

The last bit of waiting time trickled out, and before you knew it, it was already time to step out into the ring. Your heart was beating erratically, and Present Mic's booming voice overhead—mixed with the cheers of the audience—only added to your nerves. Already, you could see the familiar tuft of ash blonde hair standing at the opposite end of the arena. You inhaled another gulp of air, stepping onto the platform to stare directly into your opponent's eyes.

"You're shaking, dumbass." Katsuki frowned back at you, looking a bit miffed. "If you're this scared, I don't know what the hell you're gonna do. Control yourself, goddammit."

"Uh, y-yeah. You're right."

You bit down on your lip, squeezing your fists so that you could stabilize the tremors racking down your spine. It was as plain as day that you were overcome with nerves, but Katsuki was right—if you didn't get it under control, you wouldn't manage to so much as lay a finger on him. People from all around were watching; your friends included. You definitely weren't going to go down without a fight.

"Now...Bakugou vs. [Last Name].....STAAAART!!!"

The second the blaring signal went off, you knew you needed to act. In terms of sheer physical prowess, Katsuki easily outclassed you. Which is why, just like Uraraka, you had no choice but to strike before he could react.

Your pupils dilated as a wave of light imbued your frame. The sensation of the rush was as strange as always; you didn't think you'd ever get used to moving so fast. But you were hardly in a position to complain—zipping forward at the speed of light, your body materialized just before Katsuki's own. You watched as his crimson eyes widened, clearly caught off-guard by your sudden apparition. Gritting down on your teeth, you lurched forward and kicked him square in the chest.

"You fucking—mmph!"

He nearly keeled over and spluttered weakly; the force of your kick had all but knocked the breath out of him. Still, you knew you'd only bought yourself a second at most, and slammed him back by his shoulders in an attempt to edge him off the arena. Unfortunately, this time, your attack didn't work.

You let out a muffled scream as Katsuki clamped a hand across your wrist, pausing only to glare into your eyes. Half an instant later, he'd yelled out his trademark catchphrase and unleashed an explosion from point-blank range. You were blown back effortlessly, and a searing pain erupted across your body as you fell limply to the ground.

"Ah, shit..." you groaned, tears pooling at the corners of your eyes. "I had no idea it would hurt this much..."

"Get up, [Name]." Katsuki was inching closer from the opposite end of the arena. He wasn't rushing forward; rather, he seemed to be taking his sweet time. You didn't exactly know if he was giving you a few moments to collect yourself, or if he was just doing it to add to the tension.