Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The crowd of the party has continued to grow throughout the day and now even more people are coming. It's probably because they just got let off work and are able to make it now. I have found myself a spot in the corner of the yard where a circle of lawn chairs were set up. There is an intense round of beer pong that has been going on for a while now. Both teams are pretty drunk and only have one cup left. The table is surrounded by a group of partiers cheering for one team or another. Two girls hang off the arm of one of the guys on the side of the table closer to me. She is wearing a bikini, although it should barley be considered that, although she is very skinny she is falling out of her suit from all places. I roll my eyes at the cliché of it all.

Across the yard a keg has been set up and guys are doing keg stands trying to impress the group of people surrounding them. The beersbee that was set up before has lost its appeal and no one is playing anymore, they just stand around the poles and drink with their friends.

It's crazy how many people are here. The entire yard is full and I know for a fact that there are even more people down at the lake or walking around the small summer village. The sound of laughter and peoples drunk cheers are hard to hear over the thumping base of some top forty song that makes me want to scratch my ears off.

I take a sip of my drink, it's only a soda because I don't want to get to drunk tonight since it technically is my party and my responsibility. I search the yard again looking for nothing in particular, only to see something that may be entertaining. Other than the makeshift dancefloor of people grinding on each other and the drunk games there is really nothing amusing. I lean back in my chair and close my eyes letting the sun's rays wrap me up in their warmth. In a couple of hours the sun is going to go down so I figure I better enjoy it while it's out.

"Hey there," I hear a voice and open my eyes to see who it is. I don't even know who their talking to but the shadow over me makes me think it's probably me. I look up to see Brant standing over me holding a can of beer in each hand.

"Double fisting already?" I ask raising an eyebrow at the two cans.

"I actually brought one for you," he says, "but I see you already have a drink." He smiles at me in an embarrassed fashion and the tips of his ears go pink.

"I'm done mine so I could definitely use a refill," I say smiling up at him. "Come join me and all my friends." I wave my hands at the empty lawn chairs around me. He cracks a smile and sits in the chair beside me handing me a cold can. I take it and nod my thanks before popping it open.

"So what is a girl like you doing here all alone?" he asks taking a gulp of his drink.

"What do you mean a girl like me?" I ask.

"Well it is your party isn't it? I figured you would be more the center of attention than hiding in the corner." He says fiddling with a ring on his finger.

"Believe me if I had it my way I would be all alone going for a nice five mile run right now. Do you know I missed two runs for this stupid party?" I say exasperated.

"You run?"

"Ha-ha not really, I'm slower than a snail in molasses but I enjoy the time with my thoughts ya-know?" I look down at my confession, it's weird but I never really talked about this with anyone because it sounds so weird.

"I see," he says looking at me as if trying to see into my soul. "So if you didn't want the party why have it?"

"My friends thought it would be fun. And by the way it's a 'gathering' not a party." I laugh at how stupid that sounds.

"What's the difference," he inquires.

"I have no bloody idea," I respond.

Brant and I end up talking for a long time in the chairs. We talk about everything and anything, and occasionally laugh at the drunk people falling over each other. He is a really nice guy and has some awesome stories.