Chapter 16

“Do you want to get him or should I?” Sirius questioned as he, Remus and Peter entered the head’s dormitory. 

“You go,” Remus replied. “Lily said that there was a book I need in their study, I’m going to poke around for it.”

Checking his watch Sirius grumbled under his breath. “I swear to Merlin, that boy cannot be on time to save his life.” 

“Oh, give him a break,” Peter called as Sirius climbed the stairs. “He was on patrol last night!”

“Moony has had patrol for the past two years and he’s never late.” Sirius muttered to himself as he reached the landing where Lily and James’ rooms were. 

Grabbing his wand from his pocket Sirius twisted his hair into a knot as he pushed the door open. 

“Prongs we have to get going if we don’t want to be late. You were-”

“Sirius!” 

Sirius’ head snapped up to see Lily standing with one of James’ jumpers thrown over her body, the hem reaching her knees. James was standing on the other side of his bed. He had his shirt in his hands and he froze as Sirius' eyes flicked between the pair rapidly. 

Sirius’ wand which was halfway stuck into the knot of his hair clattered to the floor. Sirius’ eyes grew wide as he noticed the particularly rumpled sheets.

“Now, Padfoot,” James held out one of his hands trying to stop his friends outburst. “Let me explain-”

He was cut off by Sirius turning his head over his shoulder and screaming, “MOONY! YOU’LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!”

Lily buried her face in her hands asJames finally pulled his shirt on. 

“What happened?” Remus called back from the bottom of the stairs. 

“Nothing!” James called but Sirius shouted over him. 

“Prongs did it!”

Remus was climbing the stairs now. Lily looked around James’ room. “I thought you had an invisibility cloak.”

James was too nervous about the next worlds out of Sirius’ mouth to give Lily more of a side glance. “What invisibility cloak?”

“What did Prongs do?” Remus questioned, reaching the landing.

“Evans.” Sirius exclaimed his voice full of glee.

Lily looked at James, her face distraught. 

“I’m gonna stab him.” James said. 

“Evans?” Remus was baffled. “What in the hell are you babbling-”

Reaching the doorway he stopped. Sirius had a smile on his face that was so wide he feared his cheeks might split. 

“Oh,” Remus said. “I see.” 

James only had half of his shirt buttons done Lily was failing to hide herself behind the bedpost. Their cheeks were both flaming red. 

“Now we know why he was late.” Sirius laughed. 

“I’ll kill both of you,” Lily threatened, gaining back some of her dignity. 

“Right!” Remus chripped. “We will be waiting for James in the hall. Have a- a nice day, Lily."

Forcibly removing him from the doorway Remus dragged Sirius down the stairs. But not before Sirius retrieved his wand from the floor and flashed James the most obnoxious thumbs up.