drowning in your love | jj x reader

recommended track: golden by harry styles

You think sunset might just be your favorite time of day

You think sunset might just be your favorite time of day. It's when you and the Pogues are usually either drinking on the boat or laughing in the hammock at John B's place. It was the time when everything was calm and you could just bask in the familiarity of your friends' presence. But really, if you were being completely honest with yourself, sunset was your favorite time of the day because of the boy you love.

You were laying in the hammock, swinging lazily as Kie wiggled around in your arms to get comfortable, when your eyes fell on JJ. You always thought he was pretty--of course you did--but like this, with his golden hair awash with orange light from the setting sun, and a content smile on his face as he talked with Pope and John B, he looked absolutely stunning. You couldn't take your eyes off him, and so you reached out to gently trace the bridge of his nose with your finger. A lazy smile grew on your face when he turned to wrinkle his nose at you. His breath then caught in his throat at the look he saw in your eyes. It never ceased to amaze him the way you would look at him.

Later on when Pope and Kie had headed home and John B had disappeared into the bathroom to take a shower, you sat on the sofa bed with JJ's head in your lap. The two of you sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, just taking the time to look at each other, when he broke it.

"How do you do that?" he asked as his eyes left yours and settled on the ceiling.

"Do what?"

"Look at me like that. Like... look at me with those eyes so full of, like, I don't know, love."

You let out a quiet laugh and slid your fingers into his golden tresses. His eyes narrowed and a quiet moan escaped him when you began scratching the back of his head.

"I look at you like that because I am in love with you, stupid."

"Why?"

There it was. The JJ that had been hurt and bandoned by his parents. Made to believe no one could really love him.

"You know that stupid saying 'I was already in the middle before I'd even realized I'd started'? For me it was like that. By the time I realized I had a crush on your dumb ass, I was already halfway in love with you." You leaned down to press a kiss to his cheek before continuing. "But if I had to say with it was that really did it... I think it's just... how much love you hold, JJ. Like you've been through so much shit, but when it comes to the Pogues, you'll do anything to protect us. And it made me realize I want to protect you too."

He was silent for a few minutes, and you just let him process your words as you continued to run your fingers through his hair. Finally he looked back up at you and flashed one of his crazy grins.

"I knew you were special the moment I laid eyes on you."

"JJ, be serious!" you laughed, letting out a quiet yelp when he sat up and wrapped his arms around you.

"I am being serious." He nuzzled his nose along your jawline and let out a sigh. "I thought you were the most beautiful person I'd ever seen."

You rolled your eyes and told him to fuck off. He just smiled and kissed the top of your head. He wasn't exactly lying. He did think you were hot when Kie had first brought you around, but that wasn't what made him fall for you. It was the fact that you never cared about how he had no money, and that you never cared about how he was broken, and that you never cared about how he spent most his nights on John B's couch. You just cared about him. And you laughed at his stupid jokes, and were always there on the bad nights with his dad, and you only yelled at him when you were worried and he tried to brush you off.

"You wanna know a secret?" he whispered in your ear once John B had said goodnight and the two of you were curled up on the couch together.

"Hm," you hummed back, already half asleep all wrapped up in his warmth.

"I was already drowning in your love by the time I realized I needed you to keep me afloat."

A small smile crept onto your face, and you nuzzled even closer to him, resting your head on his chest and hearing his heartbeat under your ear. He readjusted himself so your head was tucked under his chin and he could hold your hand with one of his while the other was wrapped around your back.

"Then it's a good thing you know how to swim, love."