5 | You know the people you bump into 99% of the time

ابدأ من البداية

"What happened to you?" Shizuku asked the older as she helped him take off his blazer. Tae was already at the kitchen, heating up the older male's dinner. "You have a gash on your forehead." Shizuku frowned as she inspected the small wound. It wasn't bleeding anymore, but it was clear that it was fresh.

"Were you fighting with Okita-san again?" she asked as she flicked the older male on the forehead.

"Okay, first off, that's literally the fifteenth time this week that you've asked me if I've been fighting with Okita-kun." Kusahara slightly growled. "We don't even fight that often."

"It's not like you can blame me." Shizuku retorted while placing her hands over her hips. "When you had the test run to be in the Shinsengumi, you and Okita-san exchanged blows for two hours without any armor on. I think Kondou-san was already ready to faint from worrying for the two of you. Do you know how much bandages and antiseptic was used because of the severity of both of your wounds?" she huffed, remembering what happened almost two months ago.

"Of course I do, I was the victim." Kusahara slightly grumbled as he scratched his head. "And besides, you could've stopped us at any time."

"We tried." Shizuku answered with a light flick on the taller male's forehead. "Hijikata-san got a bruise on his cheek because of it."

"Again, not our fault." Kusahara shrugged. "I was actually more surprised that they still let me join, despite me using their funds for medical equipment. But, then again, it was also Okita-kun's fault, so yeah, that's that."

Shizuku sighed as she dropped her stoic figure. Two months ago, she had to help with dressing up the Shinsengumi officers' wounds after Kusahara did them in. After she helped them inside the medical wing, Shizuku went on to stop the fight between Okita and Kusahara, since even after they've let go of their kendo sticks – curtesy of a very angry and red (and purple) faced Hijikata – they still continued spouting out how strong they are compared to the other. Shizuku and Hijikata spent an hour dressing up Kusahara's and Okita's wounds, respectively, after tying bandages over their mouths to keep them from insulting each other more. The two males passed out immediately after the two people tending to them forced them down on the futon.

Shizuku gently placed her hands in front of her. "Well, where did you get that small wound, then?" she asked as her form relaxed.

"We had a chase." Kusahara replied while taking his shoes off. "The one we were chasing had the First Division and Second Division running through the traffic lines." He huffed while pulling on his cravat. "Even Hijikata-san got frustrated."

"The criminal must be a runner, then." The teal haired girl said a chuckle. "Or you're just getting old."

"I'm still young!" the older thumped on Shizuku's head. "This is just my first chase as the Second Division's captain, that's all."

Shizuku hummed. It still marveled everyone to no end that in only a span of one month, Kusahara was already promoted as the Second Division's Captain – since the previous captain recently just retired to become a yorozuya down at the east of the city. It had been the Chief-of-police's order to put him there, even with only a month's worth of experience and with absolutely no past training. Everyone in the Shinsengumi questioned the decision but Kondou advised them to not ever question Matsudaira Katakuriko's orders. Some of the officers were a bit skeptical as to why Kusahara got the promotion from the Chief-of-police, but eventually, they let it go after seeing Kusahara's battle skills up front.

"Well, the Second Division's Captain needs to eat before he takes a shower, or else, I will shove his stinky ass down the toilet." Tae suddenly came from the kitchen and smiled ominously at the older male. Without a second to lose, Kusahara immediately went to the dining room to eat.