I yawn in my hands and rub my eyes. I roll over and shut my eyes but Iris stops me, "We should eat before all the food is gone."

I groan annoyed because all I wanted to do was sleep but I would be stupid to miss out on a hot meal that isn't a rabbit. Iris tosses me my clothes and I'm surprised that they are freshly cleaned. "The woman came by earlier and collected our things to wash—" I grab them and think to myself—maybe Atlas didn't overpay. I dress quickly and Iris leads me back to the tavern. We walk in and there are more people than earlier. Mostly men drinking and screaming at each other—Iris pulls me toward our table and unfortunately, it's not in the corner away from the outrageous men. "It was the only one available." Iris explains reading my mind. "—and that's because Sasha threatened them. Stating she will chop off their precious goods if they didn't move."

I snort. We approach the table and I sit across from Atlas. Someone brings Iris and me a bowl of fresh stew and a roll of bread. I take a bite and am thankful that it is chicken and not a rabbit. The woman brings us a pitcher of ale and I arch my eyebrow when Atlas pours him a glass, "We will reach the mountain tomorrow by nightfall—" He trails off. "—drink up. We won't be returning."

Iris takes the pitcher and she pours me a huge glass and then Sasha. We drink through four pitchers quickly—too quickly and soon we are as loud as the other men in the tavern. Iris snorts at one of Atlas's stories and I see now that the only way to get Atlas to talk is to force him to drink alcohol.

Atlas nudges Sasha's shoulder who is still giving everyone the silent treatment. "Tell them." Atlas says but his voice carries throughout the tavern. He's drunk. "—Sasha won't admit it but Eliza convinced Sasha and me to sneak out downtown to witness the Elder's celebration. It was only for adults but Eliza was curious and Sasha was scared."

"I wasn't scared." Sasha rolls her eyes.

"She was." Atlas snorts and takes another huge gulp of his drink. "Eliza and I had to always convince Sasha to do bad things growing up—in the end. Sasha always caved to Eliza crazy antics." Atlas pause and his face become somber at thinking about his dear friend. I swallow another mouthful of my drink. He chuckles, "We snuck into the Elder's party, stole wine, and drank on top of the roof until the next day. We were severely punished. I miss her." He finishes in a sad tone.

Sasha exhales and it becomes quiet at the table. Sasha then immediately stands and helps Atlas to his feet, "I'm going to take him back." She states. Iris also stands to help and they disappear out the door leaving me to myself.

I take advantage and glance at my father's journal. I chew on my nails as I try to figure out the message. I've been so exhausted lately with hiking that I didn't have time to study the text. Someone hovering close by forces me to look up—it's a huge bulky man. He invites himself to sit. I shut the book and place it underneath my thigh—thinking of Iris's words.

Without the journal, we are lost.

"What a beautiful lady such as yourself sitting here all alone?" He questions.

"I'm not alone." I tell him. "My friends will return soon."

The man nods his head and then says, "Well. I shall keep you company until they come back."

I shrug my shoulders. It is nice to speak to someone different and have a conversation that doesn't involve demonics, dark witchery, the sinister key, The Crowned, or death for that matter. We get into a simple conversation and when he asks me personal questions, I deflect. He catches on soon.

"I see you don't like to speak about yourself." He comments.

I shrug my shoulders, "You're correct. Times have been difficult lately. I rather not speak about my life."

He touches my thigh and leans close, "We can get out of here and not speak at all—"

Before I can open my mouth, a thud is heard on the table and I glance to see a dagger between his middle and index finger. I look up and Sasha is staring at him, "I'm intoxicated—I may not be as efficient next time." She pulls the dagger up and it leaves a mark on the wooden table. The man looks at me for a second and then stares at Sasha. He grunts and stands before walking away to find another woman to speak to.

I exhale and stand, "I'm going to bed."

"You're welcome—" She hisses.

I roll my eyes, "I didn't need your help."

Sasha clenches her jaw, "He was making a pass at you."

"I know." I tell her.

Sasha pauses for a second and clenches her jaw. "He should have been more respectful with his advances."

I roll my eyes, "You don't get to ignore me for days and then come to my rescue. Good night."

The next morning comes quickly than usual but the sunlight shining through the window awakens me. Iris is already dressed and ready to continue on our journey. We beat the others downstairs and we are served fresh breakfast. "You can turn back if you want." I tell Iris picking over the food. It's eggs and meat. "I won't be upset. I will understand."

"You should finish your food." Iris ignores me.

I exhale and bite into the tasteless meat and burnt eggs. Sasha and Atlas enter the tavern moments later and they are all packed. Atlas doesn't look hungover—I'm guessing Sasha healed him and got rid of the sickness. They eat quickly and we are back on the road. As we hike, I take advantage of the silence and nice weather to flip through my father's journal. I stare at the different symbols and think of the time when I was seven and afraid to be around him. He was obsessed with numbers and wouldn't shut up about it—I pause and stare at the text that was numeral symbols and not letters.

"Twenty-eight." I read out loud while staring at the text. The journal then begins to flip and it lands on a random blacken-colored page that I have never seen before and it holds bold white texts. "Charm of chaotic destruction." I read the spell name. "You sneaky man."

Iris comes and hovers over me, "You figured it out." She smiles excitedly. We spend the rest of the day shouting out numbers and watching the journal flip through numerous pages and revealing spells after spells.

"Are you dorks finished?" Sasha asks.

I roll my eyes and she comes over and leans over me glancing into the journal and reading the passage. I call out a random number and it flips to a page that shows a healing spell. "I've never heard of that before—" She mumbles the words underneath her mouth and I see her fingers twitching but nothing is happening. "—this is higher witchery." She settles with.

"It's fine." I smile. "It will take practice."

Sasha rolls her eyes, "We don't have time for practice. Let's go. We should set up for camp."

I nod my head but something is there—I barely catch it but it's there. Sasha notices my sudden panic and she pulls her sword—knowing not the question me. Atlas follows suit while pulling Iris behind his back. Moments later several hooded Elder's come out of the trees surrounding us. I phase and pull my daggers from my hip.

Sasha and I fight back to back and she defeats each Elder that comes her way. I dodge a fire blast and throw my dagger with all my might—it buries itself into the man's chest. He croaks and falls to his knees. Atlas shoots arrows while defending Iris from the side and Iris keeps the journal close to her chest. Sasha buries her sword into the last man and kicks him to the ground.

I look around waiting for something more—something isn't right.

"That was too easy." Sasha says the words before I can speak. "We are too close to the sinister key for Elijah to send his weakest warriors."

I nod my head and dive out the way when several grenades land next to us—all three of them explode around us and I cover my face from the fatal blast but instead, it releases toxic gas. I cover my face with my shirt but it is inevitable—I collapse to my knees and someone stands over me with a gas mask over their face.

"Did you really think I'll let you get away the second time?"

I recognize the voice but I fall unconscious before I can respond.