"Thanks for the coffee," you say, turning your head to glance at him while you walk. You're silent for a moment. "Do you know what I realized the other day?"

"What?" He asks, taking a sip of his own coffee.

"I don't really know...that much about you. Personally. And you don't have to tell me anything." You take another sip of your coffee. "I just want you to know I'd very much like to know you. Whenever you're ready."

He doesn't answer, and that fills you with a small sliver of worry as you two keep walking. It's sunny out—but still cold. You glance around as you two walk, the cars whizzing past the street, people walking with their friends or significant others. The leaves crunch under your feet as you walk, the nice, familiar sound filling the silence between you and Spencer.

At a crossroads, you tug him to the left. "Come on. I know a place."

Swallowing your sense of nerves, you lead Spencer to a park. And not just any park, it's the park you go when you need to get away. It's not crowded and it's beautiful. Especially right now when the leaves are changing colors. Because no one really knows it's here, it's nice when you need to get away and silence your thoughts for a moment.

You lead Spencer to a bench, and you sit down first, breaking your hold on his hand. You lean back against the bench, looking up at him, eyes meeting his. After a moment, he sits down next to you, keeping his hands in his lap.

"I-I hope you don't think I was trying to pressure you," you murmur, twiddling your fingers together. "I just wanted to let you know how I feel."

Spencer nods, and after a moment, his right hand moves to your lap, entwining your fingers with his. He inhales deeply before exhaling slowly. When he speaks again, his voice is quiet.

"I'm from Las Vegas. I was bullied all through high school, and most of college, honestly. My dad left my mom when I was little."

"You don't have to—"

"I want to," he reassures you, squeezing your hand.

You nod slowly. "Okay."

He's quiet for a moment. "My mother is a paranoid schizophrenic and she also has dementia. She...doesn't remember who I am most of the time. And I-I've tried to help her, but..."

"You can't," you whisper, squeezing his hand. "Dementia doesn't have a cure, bubs."

"I know." He scrunches his brows. "I thought I would've found one by now." He's quiet for a moment.

"You can't hold yourself responsible for that," you murmur. "I'm...I'm sorry."

"It's okay." He turns his head, looking at you. "I'm not going to go into detail about anything but I-I...I've been through a lot. I've been kidnapped a-and tortured, and people have left me or died." He's quiet for a moment, his lower lip trembling.

"Bubs, you...you don't have to talk about it. I didn't want to make you upset."

"You didn't make me upset," he says softly. He gives you a soft smile. "You make me feel better."

Your lips turn up into a small smile. "I'm glad I can help."

"I'm also in therapy," he murmurs. "Which is helping. I still don't feel normal but I...it's helping."

"Therapy is good," you tell him, rubbing your thumb along his.

"It is."

You're quiet for a moment. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. Were you alone? Did you have a support system?"

Spencer nods. "I had my team. They helped me the best they could."

"That's good," you whisper.

Spencer pulls your entwined hands into his lap. "Do you...would you ever want kids? Or have you ever thought about having a family?"

The question catches you off guard. You hesitate before looking up at him, nodding. "I do. Eventually. Maybe in a couple years, preferably with someone I'm married to." Your lips pull up into a smile. "What about you?"

"Yes, I want kids," he says, smiling at you. "I've wanted them for a while. I think I would have if—" He stops himself, biting the inside of his cheek.

"If what?" You murmur, furrowing your brow.

"It's a long story, but a few years ago I had a girlfriend. And she died."

"I'm sorry, bubs." Your eyes search his face, and his eyes flick up to yours. "If, um, that didn't happen, do you think you would have kids by now?"

Spencer hesitates a moment before nodding. "I think so."

You two sit in silence for a while, and you move to rest your head on his shoulder. He rests his cheek on the top of your head, rubbing his thumb along yours. You two don't say anything else, just sit in a comfortable silence.

"Thanks for telling me all of that," you whisper. "You didn't have to."

"I know, pretty girl. But I wanted to."

You give a small laugh, watching Spencer bring your hand up to his mouth, leaving a small kiss on the back of it. "I quite enjoy being around you, Spencer."

"And I you," he replies.

You smile to yourself, warmth swirling around your chest as you sit there with Spencer. And you feel warm because it's true—you love being around Spencer. He makes you feel good. He makes you feel...like a better person.

"How's your dissertation?"

You sigh softly. "It's good. I'm almost done. Maybe after I'm done, I'll let you read it. It'll only take you, like, three minutes."

He laughs, the bright sound making you smile as it fills your ears. "I'd love to read it."

"Well, don't be too disappointed. We can't all be geniuses."

"Don't talk like that; you're so smart. You're one of the few people I've met who impresses me with intelligence." He gives a low chuckle. "It's actually quite a turn on."

You laugh, lifting your head off his shoulder, looking at him. "Really?"

He nods. "Really."

You laugh again as he presses a small kiss to your forehead. You almost don't hear his phone ringing, but after a moment, the shrill sound fills your ears. Spencer sighs, digging his phone out of his pocket, holding it up to your ear.

"Yeah, Prentiss?" He pauses before sighing, nodding. "Okay, I'll be there soon." He hangs up, eyes landing on you again. "I'm sorry, I have to go."

"Don't apologize for working, bubs. Go kick some ass." You smile up at him and he grins at you.

"As soon as I'm done with the case, I'm gonna come see you, pretty girl."

He leans forward, pressing his lips against yours. You smile into the kiss before moving your lips slowly against his, his free hand snaking to the nape of your neck, twisting his fingers around the hair there. He deepens the kiss, tongue sliding into your mouth, and you give a small groan when he tugs lightly on your hair.

After a moment, you two pull away, and you both pant softly. He rests his forehead on yours, a small smile on his face.

"Can we do more of that when you come back?" You whisper, giggling softly.

He laughs, pulling away, nodding. "We can do whatever you want, pretty girl." He kisses you again, softly this time, before pulling away. "Okay, I have to go. Let's walk to the metro together."

He stands, holding out his hand, and you take it, letting him pull you up as you two begin the walk to the metro.

——————————————
Author's Note
Hello :)
Hooray to Spencer for opening up a little bit :)
I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter!