“Okay. Goodbye, then.”

A lowkey luxury car stopped on the roadside, and Rong Heng got in, bidding her farewell.

Song Yuan watched him leave. As soon as Rong Ting, who had been observing through the window, saw Rong Heng had left, he immediately came out and asked, puzzled, “What is Emperor Father doing? For what reason is he not returning home with us?”

“Gugu, I told you, that’s Uncle Xie. Uncle Xie has his own home.” Song Yuan was a bit tired now. “Let’s not talk about this now. I’ll look up information for him tomorrow; you’ll figure it out when you’ve read it. Let’s go home.”

Rong Ting wasn’t insensible. When he saw Empress Mother acting like this, he knew that she didn’t want to discuss this topic any longer. He nodded. “Alright.”

Song Yuan had clearly underestimated Rong Ting’s stubbornness and persistence.

Originally, she’d thought that after she showed him the information, he would understand. But in the following days, as though possessed, he would ask questions like “How did Emperor Father come?”, “How did Emperor Father forget me?”, and “Why is Emperor Father not together with us?” He dug in his heels2; he didn’t listen to any of her explanations, only believing in his own judgement. Even when she emphasized that Mr. Xie could not be His Majesty the emperor, he shot back, “Did Empress Mother not say that there are no absolutes in life?”

Song Yuan: “…”

This incident had influenced their lives.

This distressed Song Yuan, but there was nothing she could do. Sometimes, she couldn’t help losing her temper at Rong Ting, but right when her irritation shot up, she would feel guilty upon meeting his stubborn gaze. There was no doubt that he was her child. She hadn’t been by his side the last few years, so she should be more patient with him.

But how could a paternity test be done so arbitrarily?

What sort of family was the Xie family? Her father had already explained to her–if someone with an ulterior motive made use of this matter, wouldn’t she drag Gugu into unnecessary conflict?

For this kind of internal battle among giants, who would want to rush up to be cannon fodder?

Moreover, she was embarrassed to call him up and ask this of him.

She just wanted to live in peace and stability; why was that so hard? She didn’t know how to persuade Gugu, but Gugu had a temperament that didn’t easily compromise.

Difficult, too difficult.

One week later, just when Song Yuan was at her wit’s end, Rong Heng called her first.

It started with ordinary pleasantries, until Rong Heng asked her, “You sound tired. Did something happen?”

Song Yuan was embarrassed to say that it was just that too many things happened recently.

“Does your son still believe that I’m his dad?”

Song Yuan was helpless, but she had to speak the truth. “He’s a bit more stubborn than the average kid.”