Chapter 1: Nothing Out of the Ordinary

“God damn it! These uniforms are so damn expensive. I can't afford to keep buying new ones every time I spill juice or some shit on it.” Jake was rubbing the sleeve of his button down which resembled the color of the sky. “Honestly, we pay for the school already. Why can't we wear whatever the hell we want? It'd make it a hell of a lot more easier.”

“You don't understand the relevance of it, Jake. When you finally get a job and stop begging your mom for money, you'll soon realize the importance of dress to impress. Private schools are more elaborate than a public one. So therefore, we are expected to look nicer, and be smarter.” I brushed some imaginary dirt off my shoulder as we walked along the pavement. “Besides, I kind of like looking fancy.”

“They couldn't have at least made the girls' skirts shorter? I mean come on. It looks like they are wearing a table cloth around their waist.” I scoffed.

“Women are people too, you know.”

“Yeah I know. Who else is going to help me get this fruit punch stain out of my shirt? Also, I'll never be able to make a sandwich like my mother. Chicks... can't live with them, can't live without them.” I couldn't help but slightly laugh at that last crack. Sad thing is, I wasn't sure if he was joking or just being ignorant.

After a few minutes we finally made it to Jake's house. “Mother, I'm home!” He called out. From off in the distance I could hear Mrs. Robinson talking. The living room was what you could expect from someone who lives in this wealthier side of town. A grand television, a few sofas, and of course various other pieces of furniture. We walked through the living room, coming into the kitchen to see Mrs. Robinson arranging platters of food.

“Yes, I understand what you want, sir. I will get right on it. Yes... yes I'll be sure to put cinnamon in it.” She held a phone up to her ear, tilting her head sideways so it didn't fall to the floor. Jake went to grab a bite of the food when Mrs. Robinson slapped his hand, shaking her head no at him. “Yes. Okay, I got it.” She then slammed the phone back into it's holster on the counter, looking up at us, acknowledging our presence. The first thing she noticed was Jake's shirt. “Aw come on. Can't you be a little more careful? Money doesn't grow on trees you know.”

“Sorry mom, it won't happen again.” Jake slipped his sweater-vest over his head and started un-buttoning his shirt.

“Other than your ruined shirt, how was your day, boys?” She asked the both of us.

“It wasn't anything special, really.” Jake said.

“And what about yours, Logan?” She asked.

“It was splendid, Mrs. Robinson.” I smiled at her.

“Glad to hear.” Jake reached for the food again, and just like last time, Mrs. Robinson slapped his hand. “This isn't for you. This is for my client. He is getting married today and I am catering the wedding. I want everything to be perfect, and you taking even one piece of this will throw off the balance.”

“It's food. Who cares about the balance?” Jake shrugged.

“I do, and when you finally get married so will you.”

“Do you need help, ma'am?” I asked Mrs. Robinson. She looked over and smiled at me, a glance at Jake revealing him rolling his eyes.

“No thank you. You boys go do something fun. Enjoy yourself!” With that Jake and I went to his room. It wasn't anything special. A bed, a nightstand, a dresser, closet doors, and various sports posters hanging off the walls.

“Why do call her shit like that?” Jake asked sounding a bit annoyed.

“Call whom what?” I wondered.

“My mom. You call her shit like 'Ma'am' and 'Mrs. Robinson.' Why don't you just call her 'Mom,' or 'Victoria?' She's pretty legit dude. She doesn't care. Plus she's like your mother too, isn't she?”

“Because I am showing her respect. Something you should learn about. And I suppose so. No one will be able to replace my mother.” I walked over to Jake's nightstand, picking up a photo of a man, Mrs. Robinson, and a younger version of Jake. They were all huddled together, smiling, being a family. What a dream that was.

Jake sighed, noticing my sudden interest in his family photo. He came up behind me and placed his hand on my shoulder, a shiver going down my back. He changed the topic. “Valentine's Day is coming up pretty soon. Are you ready to get laid?”

“With you?” I looked behind me. “We don't have to wait until Valentine's Day for that, baby girl.” We both laughed at that. That was why I think Jake and I were friends. When life was too serious for me, I could be graced by his company and allow him to bring some fun back into it. There was never a dull conversation with Jake.

“I'm being serious. Are you gonna' ask Shanon? We're still gonna' do that double date aren't we?” He questioned.

“Shanon left me for another guy months ago, remember?” My voice was growing slow and light.

“What about Breanne?”

“She cheated on me. I'm not going back to her.”

“Kristina?”

“She doesn't like me. She was only using me because I bought her stuff.”

“Well do you have anyone?”

“Yes.” I smiled, glad that I could actually say so. I usually never had anyone I can go to in times like these. But luckily I had finally built up enough courage to do something about it.“I asked Melyssa out. She agreed. Pretty sweet huh?”

“Nice!” Jake sounded like a proud father. “Which one?”

“Mendoza.”

 “Dude, she's frggin' hot!” He exclaimed. “You're so lucky. I see you're going for them Latina panties.” He winked at me. ”She wants the D.” I rolled my eyes at his pig comment.

“Yes, she's very pretty. It'll be our first date. I'm not going to give her anything other than a nice night. Sorry to get your hopes up or something.”

“Ah, don't be such a bitch! See, this is why girls are all over me and ignore you. They don't want a nice night, they want to get in your pants and leave. You'll never lose your virginity if you keep that mindset. Just go for it. Stop trying to be this all around nice guy. This isn't medieval times. They don't want a night in shining armor!”

“Well I guess I'll die a virgin and alone then, won't I?” I refused to conform to a disrespectful ass just to please Jake. That kind of person wasn't me, so I wasn't going to act like one. Not even for a split second. “Just be happy I got a date.” I added.

“I am happy for you, bro. Sometimes I just want you to keep up with me, you know? We could be living the American Teenage Boy Dream, but it seems like you don't want to. Whys that?”

“I guess women just don't like me.” I shrugged.