Chapter 6- Return to "The Lab"

You pushed open the front door of your house, awaiting the delicious aroma of whatever your mom was cooking for dinner. You recognized the smell immediately: beef noodle soup. Another perk of living in San Fransokyo, best Japanese food in the world. And your mom's cooking was up there with your favorite sushi restaurant around the corner, and that fancy hibachi place you always begged your parents to go to, but they usually refused, since the prices on good hibachi were in the clouds.

"Hey, (y/n)! How was your first day?" Your mom asked eagerly, tending to the huge pot on the stove.

"It was great! We have a project in robotics, and it's awesome."

"A project already? Tell me more."

"The objective is to build a piece of new, innovative tech that be beneficial of help people in some way. I've always wanted to build a hoverboard, and who doesn't need another awesome means of transportation?"

"That sounds amazing, honey. What's Tadashi doing? Is he doing well?"

Oh no. There you go again. You felt your heart beat just a tinge faster, and your stomach did a backflip.

"Uh, he's fine. He said he's building some sort of healthcare companion or something like that. He also introduced me to his friends, and they're really nice!" You walked into the kitchen after putting your stuff down, lifting the lid of the pot just enough, so a bit of the hot beef-scented steam could rise to your nose.

"That's good. See? You're already making friends! Oh, and dinner's almost ready."

"Great! I'm starving!"

Your dad walked down the stairs, and smiled when he saw you, and began asking similar questions to the ones your mom asked. After you finished answering, he hugged you, ruffling your (h/c) hair a little when he released you.

"That's my girl!" He exclaimed after you explained the concept of your robotics project again.

Your mom ladeled three big bowls of soup, and everyone brought them to the table.

Your family ate silently, obviously enjoying the soup immensely.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it, honey." Your mom said, as you smiled with your mouth full of noodles and beef, your lips closed.

"Mmm hmm!"

During dinner, you told your parents all about your new friends and their projects, and they wore fascinated gazes the whole time.

After you had finished your second bowl, you felt full, and excused yourself, before bring your dishes to the sink. You grabbed your backpack, and descended the stairs to your basement, known as "the lab". It's the place you attempting making tiny little robots and other trinkets when your were younger, and the blueprints hand-drawn by your younger self taped on the walls sent a flash of nostalgia over you. You pulled out the newer blueprints from your backpack, along with your laptop, and sat down at your desk, unrolling the large piece of blue paper, examining what you had done earlier. You opened the 3D modeling program on your laptop, and began creating the very first digital shapes for your design. You worked for about a half an hour, before you felt like you couldn't keep your eyes open. You trudged up both flights of stairs to your bedroom. You were ready for bed in five minutes flat, and it took you no time at all to fall into a peaceful slumber.