Chapter Two - Secrets

Chapter Two: Secrets

To sum up my first year at Hogwarts, it was sort of uneventful. Other than the troll in the dungeon at the end of the school year, (which I don't even know what that was all about) nothing really happened. I didn't become a part of Draco's close gang, (I didn't believe in bullying people, and I will admit that Pansy scared me off a little too) but myself and the Carrow twins, Flora and Hestia-who became my close friends that year-sat near the gang during the meals and hung out with them during our free time.

The years that followed were also a little uneventful. My second year, I excelled in my studies, which made my mother proud. Nearing the end of my second year, though, I was surprised when Draco pulled me aside after dinner one day.

"Do you want to see something cool?" he asked, a twinkle in his eye that I had never seen before.

Having nothing else to do, I replied, "Sure."

"Okay," Draco smiled as he said the word, and my heart unexplainably skipped a beat.

Draco led me to the seventh floor, where no one else was to be found.

"Here." he stood me in front of the bare wall. We were both silent for a second, and then a door floated up from within the wall.

"Woah," I said without thinking.

Draco turned to me.

"You can't tell anyone about this. Anyone at all. Got it?"

"Got it," I nodded, and Draco opened the door, motioning for me to step in. I did, and immediately I was wonderstruck by the room. It was huge, with very high ceilings and piles and piles of things all around me.

"What is this place?" I asked, looking around at all the miscellaneous items stacked around the room.

"The Room of Requirement. Some people call it the Room of Hidden Things," Draco shut the door, walked over, and stood beside me.

"You can only get in if you need something."

"What did you need?"

"I needed to show you something," Draco said nonchalantly, and walked ahead of me, rounding a huge pile of things and out of sight. I stood, still gazing around me, for just a second, and then walked forward after Draco. But when I rounded the pile, he wasn't there.

"Draco," I said, halfway calling out his name, and halfway a question.

I looked left, no sign of him.

I looked right, he wasn't over there either. I started walking forward again, and as I rounded another pile of junk, (or was it the same one?) Draco stepped out in front of me. I jumped, a high-pitched sound coming out of my mouth.

"Did I scare you?" Draco asked me, laughing.

"Yeah, just a bit," I laughed also.

Draco and I talked for two hours in that room, about school, about friends, about our family, about almost everything. But the one thing I never told him about was April. Although there was no way I could really open up like that, it was the day I felt I really met Draco for the first time.

At the end of my second year, Harry Potter began raving that Lord Voldemort had returned. Some believed him, and some didn't. But I didn't know what to think. In my third year, I slacked a bit in my studies because I was spending so much time with Draco in the Room of Requirement. Same in my fourth year. My mother was disappointed in me, but was thrilled with Daphne, who excelled in approaching her final years of school. At the end of fourth year, though, everything changed.