chapter 5: Not Even if I Tried

It's been a week since you left Sorgan, and you've barely spoken to nor seen Din. You've basically been walking on eggshells around each other. You bring him up meals everyday, with no words exchanged between the two of you. You swear that every fleeting interaction, the tension between you two thickens, and you're nervous about what will happen when it snaps.

You were currently sitting with green bean on your lap, sewing him some shoes out of extra fabric you'd found in a cabinet on the Crest. I hope he didn't need this for anything important. Even if he did, you don't think he would've said anything about it, since y'know, he's avoiding you and all.
"At least he hasn't thrown me out into space." you mumble to yourself. You quickly finish sewing up the second shoe and hold them up for bean to see.
"What do you think bean? Do you like them?"
He gives an excited coo and grabs for one of the shoes. You hand it to him, only to watch him put it in his mouth.
"No! no no green bean. This goes on your feet silly! Not in your mouth."
You pry the shoe from his hand and place him on the cot next to you. You slip them on one at a time, being extra careful with his three toed feet.
"Okay. there. You wanna try to walk with them?"
Another coo which you take a yes. we need to start teaching him some words. You pick up bean and go to walk out of the room, only to come face to face with Din upon exiting. You both freeze and stare at eachother for a few uncomfortable moments. You realize then that you need to say something. You hate the way you feel without him, hate missing him. You hate losing sleep overthinking every interaction you had with each other on Sorgan, and you especially hate thinking about how he wanted to leave you there. Din takes a step to the side and you quickly follow suit before you can over think it. Instead of saying anything like you'd hoped, he simply tries to side step you again, and once more you counteract his movements. You furrow your brows while your eyes narrow.
"Din."
Suddenly your thrown off balance as an explosion rocks the ship. Din reaches out to grab you and once he sees your stable, bolts to the cockpit. so much for talking. You try to calm your racing heart while making your way there aswell. Your not sure if it's racing because someone is shooting at you, or because Din had his hands around your waist. Probably both. jeez you need to get out more.You almost lose your balance while climbing and quicken your pace, making it up to the pit and buckling yourself in the co-pilots seat.
"hand over the child Mando, and I might just let you live."
Another shot rocks the ship and you tighten your grip on bean, who doesn't seem to have a care in the world. children. Din presses a few buttons and turns his helmet slightly in your direction.
"Hold on."
You hate how much you missed his voice. You don't have time to dwell on that though, as he suddenly flips the crest over and around in random spins. Your grip on bean is probably suffocating at this point, but he thankfully doesn't seem bothered by it. The bounty hunter's voice comes through again.
"I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold mando"
You instantly sense him tensing up before the Crest abruptly stops, the bounty hunter's ship scratches against the top of the Crest as he flies right into Din's scope.
"that's my line."
His voice is dark as he presses a button the joysticks,  effectively firing the Crest's guns and obliterating the ship in front of you. While you slightly relaxed after your victory, Din still seemed stressed as he toggled a few switches.
"we're losing fuel"
You don't say anything in reply, mostly because you gave no idea what you even would say.
well, he spoke twice today, so... progress?
Your vision goes dark accompanied by what sounds like the ship powering down, which is followed shortly thereafter by a giggle.
oh jeez.
the baby does not seem nearly as stressed as either you or Din, who is now up and fiddling with a panel near the back of the cock pit. After a few seconds, the power kicks back on, and you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. You quickly remember the amount of jolts and stumbles you felt on your way up here, and know there's no way fuel is the only thing wrong with the ship. Din also appears to realize this, and starts easing the Crest in a different direction. A small orange blob appears a head of you and steadily grows larger until you can make out numerous swirls of varying shades that all look suspiciously similar in color to sand. Your suspicions are (unfortunately) proved right as Din begins his decent to the planet.
"This is Mos Eisley tower. We are tracking you. Head for bay 35 upon landing." A voice crackles though in the silence. Din flicks another toggle on the dashboard.
"Copy that. Locked in for 35."
You hadn't noticed until now, but his voice had gone back to that same emotionless drone he had when you first came on with him. As weeks passed, he slowly started to let himself open up, his voice often allowing some of his emotion to seep through his beskar. But now it was like he had closed all his walls back up and reinforced them.
you really messed up huh?
The city you land in reminds you much of the planet you and Din had stopped at to restock. It was...nice looking, but it was all sand, and beige, and once you stepped out the ship, you found it was also hot. Extremely hot. You glance over to Din, who seemed unbothered by the heat, even with a million pounds of beskar on his body and wearing black underclothes. Bean had fallen asleep and been put in the compartment, and you debating going to hang out with him in there. A sound from your right alerted you to three pit droids popping up and making their way towards the ship. Din seemed to have also noticed them and, shot them, for some reason.
"Din!! Those are someone's droids!"
Sure enough, a voice yelled at Din not 2 seconds later.
"Hey!! You damage my droids? you'll pay for
them ."
"Just keep them away from my ship."
Din continues down the ramp and you follow behind, throwing one more quick glance at the closed compartment door.
"Yeah? you think that's a good idea do ya? Let's take a look at your ship hmm?"
The frizzy haired lady walks up to the ship and inspects hit, knocking against the hull. You cringe when you hear a rattling noise come from inside.
"You got a fuel leak!"
You can tell Din is getting annoyed with this woman further and further. The woman then pulls out a scanner and points it to the top of the ship.
"You've got a lot of, Carbon scoring up top. Yeah. If I didn't know better I'd think you were in a shootout!"
Din responds with his oh so famous head tilt. You keep quiet, never finding a good point in the conversation (if you could even call it that) to butt in.
"This is a mess! how did you even land? That's gonna set you back"
You assume the lady had finished her inspection of the Crest, but you weren't sure how exactly Din planned on paying for the repairs.
"I've got 500 imperial credits."
Peli glances at Din, then turns to her pit droids.
"What do you guys think? that enough?"
each of the droids give a different signal, and your surprised to see one nodding after Din shot at them earlier.
"Well, that'll at least cover the hanger."
welp.
"I'll get you your money."
At this, you sharply turn your head to stare at Din, having once again, no idea how he's planning to do this.
"yeah yeah, I've heard that one before."
Din cuts her off
"Just remember-"
But the woman does the same back. now he knows how it feels when he cuts me off.
"no droids. I remember. Don't have to say it twice."
Din nods his head at the lady, turning around and grabbing your arm to walk with him.
"I'm going into town to find a job. Stay here and watch the kid."
You nod up at him, still at a loss for words around him.
"I—be careful."
He nods again and turns to walk out of the bay. You sigh, shaking your head. You remember the other occupant in the bay and walk back over to meet her.
"Hi. I'm y/n."
You hold out your hand with a small smile held on your face. The lady returns the gesture, shaking your hand with a slight smile of her own.
"Peli. He doesn't talk much that one does he?"
She points to the door Din had just walked out of.
"No, not really. I'm sorry if we came off as rude earlier, he's been..."
What had he been recently? Moody? Quiet? Tense? These are words you would use to describe him normally.
"..He's been more stressed than usual lately. I apologize."
Peli waves it off.
"No worries. I'm not the one who has to live with him."
You giggle at that.
"Do you need help with anything? I haven't really worked on starships before, but I'm familiar with their components and a fast learner."
And it's true. When you were younger, you would study blueprints of starships and how they worked whenever you had spare time. Your goal was to build your own ship to fly you out of Nevarro, using spare parts you would find around the streets. Obviously, that never worked, and when your mom started getting older, you busied yourself more and more with sewing and baking etc, your 'starship' being left in the dust. Peli looked back over to the ship, then the door, then you.
"sure. yeah. I don't think you can mess this hunk of junk up any more than it is."
You also take a look at the Crest, realizing just how damaged it is. yeesh. how did we even survive? you cringe more and more as your eyes travel further over the hull.
"Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you on that."
Peli let's out a breath through her nose and heads towards the back.
"Well c'mon, let's get you workin'."