4 ➤ Broken Heart

Start from the beginning

With one last glance at Walter, Eleanor followed the Queen to one of the guest rooms. Once Eleanor was inside the room, she was elated when the door clicked closed behind her. Arms folded over her chest, she inched closer to the small bed pushed up against the wall. She sat on it and turned on the lamp, illuminating the room.

She tried not to cry again, but it was difficult not to. Tears streamed down her face as she sobbed. How could her mother do such thing? How could she run away and not care what happened to Adeline or her?

At the soft knock, Eleanor wiped away the tears and opened. Adeline walked into the room, closing the door behind her.

"The Queen is a real bitch, isn't she?"

"Adeline, she is only trying to—"

"Walter couldn't find anyone like you. She should be glad you're dating her son. Everyone thought he would never find a mate and he has. Nothing satisfies that woman."

"Did she treat you bad when Grieg chose you?"

"Yes, but I ignored her. In that woman's mind, no one is good enough for her children." Adeline hugged her, then pulled away. "I'm sorry for not telling you."

"You have nothing to apologize for." Eleanor sat down on the bed. "So, are you sleeping here with me?"

Adeline nodded. "Of course, Grieg is not pleased he has to sleep alone tonight, but he will get over it."

"I'm so confused about everything."

"I'm still shocked that Walter has not broken the bond after finding out rogue blood courses through your veins. When he was a child, he was kidnapped and they tried to get a money from his parents. He doesn't like speaking about what happened, but when the king managed to find him...he was a changed boy...or so I've heard."

"Maybe tomorrow he will break this bond. If the Queen or King find out—"

"They won't. We won't say anything and our father won't dare say anything either."

"How could you be so sure?"

Adeline looked away. "I wish I could do something."

"Stop worrying about me. I'll be fine."

Eleanor stood and walked into the bathroom. She stood in front of the sink and stared at her reflection. "Adeline, do you have a small mirror?"

"Why?"

Eleanor picked up her long hair and turned her back to her sister. "Do I have a mark on my neck?"

"Of course you do. You know anyone anyone still a virgin—Oh...you saw Walter's."

Eleanor let her hair fall and smiled. "It's hard to believe that he is..." Her cheeks flamed. "He is too perfect to be true."

"Well, he is." Adeline put her hand on Eleanor's shoulder, grinning. "I should also warn you that him being a virgin isn't such a good thing."

Eleanor raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"That man has a lot of power. If he loses control, he can harm you. It is already difficult for his wolf to stay at bay when you are around."

"He told you that?"

"Not exactly." She grabbed Eleanor by the shoulders and led her back into the room. "Now, you need some rest, so get in bed."

Eleanor crawled into the bed and Adeline lay beside her. She kissed Eleanor's temple before Eleanor shut off the lamp.

"What do you think will happen if our father tells the Queen?"