Chapter One: Prince Of Death

Silence hung in the air as Beatrice waited for the man she had trusted blindly for more than a year now. She ran the tip of her forefinger along the blade of the dagger she held in her hand. How could she have ever thought that this relationship would ever work out?

A thousand times her mother had told her to never trust any man.

Her gaze lifted from the silver blade when the front door creaked open. With a smile, he walked into the room and removed his jacket. Her eyes were focused on him as he moved closer to her, his eyes locked upon hers, eyes that had enchanted her since the day they met, eyes that never gave her a hint that he was lying when he told her that he only had eyes for her.

When he tried to kiss her cheek, she turned her head and pushed him back as she stood. "How was your day?" She walked closer to the fireplace, her hold around the hilt of her blade tightening.

"Busy as always...and yours?"

"My target was easier than I thought. I lured him into a dark alley and dug my dagger into his chest. I had planned to go surprise my best friend so that we could spend the rest of the day together as she had been asking me for the past few weeks." She faced him now and caught the flicker of guilt in his eyes, along with fear. He should be afraid. When they decided to give this a chance, she told him from the start that if he broke her heart, she would rip his heart with her barehands.

She took out her cellphone out of the pocket of her jeans and tossed it on the coffee table, the only thing that stood between them. Bewildered, he stared at her. Beatrice picked up the phone, unlocked it and held it for him to see the pictures she had taken.

"What have you done?"

She shrugged. "I have been taught that betrayal is payed with only one thing, Devin. And that is with death." His hand automatically went to the dagger at his hip and she tilted her head. "Who do you think will be faster?"

"Beatrice, I can explain everything."

"Oh, what are you going to tell me? That you accidentally fell inside her? I'm no damn fool." Though she had been for the past year, believing his lies. She glanced at the tribal emerald tree with naked branches on her hand, wondering why did she believe her life would be any different away from the fae.

They had betrayed her, turned against her without knowing the facts and now, the one man she had let into her life betrayed her, along with the woman she had thought of as a sister; however, this time she did not run, crying like a child. No. This time she would take matters in her own hands.

"I trusted you."

"Beatrice, you have to understand. I rarely see you."

She moved forward and within seconds, she was mere inches from him, blade under his chin. "That is no excuse for what you have done. She has paid the price for her betrayal and now she is dead, torn apart in her own home. Now, you will meet the same fate. No one plays with me and gets away with it. No one."

"Beatrice."

She didn't take her eyes off Devin. "Kevin, leave."

"I rather not. Come on, lower the blade. This is not worth it."

"He deserves to be punished."

"I don't disagree with you, but this isn't the right thing to do."

"And what is? Am I supposed to just let him get away with it?"

"Fine, if you want to kill him, then go ahead. Do it."

She pressed the blade deeper against his skin, but as always Kevin got his way. Sometimes, she wondered if he was using his gift on her. No. He wouldn't dare. She pulled back and stepped aside for Kevin to leave. As she folded her arms over her chest, she glared at Kevin who now stood in front of the fireplace. He smiled at her, clearly pleased she had not done what she craved to, but Devin decided to test his luck.