♡12♡ The Sermon (UPDATED 03/11/2022)

Start from the beginning

Ruthanne was at a loss for words as she sought to remember the last time so many people had been compelled by the message to ask to be delivered from their sins. Her heart leaped in her chest as she prayed for the Word to draw those who needed to be saved.

"Brothers and sisters. This is your time to come to the Lord with your sins and walk away with a brand new start. Don't allow the devil to stop you from laying down your sins. How hard is it to walk around feeling all alone? How hard is it to feel like nobody cares about the pain and loss you are suffering? Come to the Father and lay down your burdens. He wants to walk with you and soothe you in your trying time, but He cannot force himself on you. You must invite Him in so he can walk with you by carrying the burdens of this world, once you have surrendered them to your Father in Heaven." As the man of God spoke, nearly everyone in the church made their way to the front.

People were on their knees praying and crying out to Almighty God. They were crying out and as their shepherd began to pray, the room filled from the ceiling to the floor with a sense of hope and love that was heavy yet light. The minister continued his prayers as members were filled with the Spirit.

As Ruthanne witnessed the move, she cried out as she was filled with joy. In her moment of exhilaration, she jumped from her seat and promptly passed out on the floor.

♡♡♡

"Mrs. Yates... I mean... Ruthanne. I don't know if I can do this." Kylin lowered her eyes as she backed away from the door.

No matter how the young woman visibly fought with her own sense of right and wrong, her incessant pleas with the woman got her no closer to the desired outcome.

"Please. For the love of all that's good in your heart, don't back out now. You promised you would help me." Tears began to stream down her face.

It was as if the uncertainty was written in bold print in Kylin's every move that showed that she wasn't prepared for it. Her face reflected that nothing in her life equipped her for some crazy white girl to ask her to do something she would never be able to properly explain to anyone... least of all herself.

"Kylin, I don't know of anyone who is better for this than you. Please. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were sent here to redeem us. Please help me... PLEASE."

Ruthanne saw that the only thing the nurse wanted at that moment was to run away, but a still voice whispered for her to continue with her request.

To hear the distress in her patient's voice held a stranglehold on the nurse's heart of that Ruthanne was sure.

As artic gray eyes bore holes into her soul, Kylin gave in and fulfilled her promise.

Ruthanne opened her eyes. She scanned the room only to find that she was in the hospital. Her mind drifted back to the dream as she prayed. In her heart, she already knew what had to be done as she considered the end was closer than she cared to admit.

♡♡♡

When Kylin met Ruthanne, she was still full of life even though any health care professional with a heart and a decent set of eyes could clearly see that her light was fading. The woman's body lost more of its luster until Kylin sensed a tremendous heaviness descending on the home.

She worked without ceasing to keep her client's spirits lifted with as much laughter as she could muster.

When she had been with the family for twenty-two weeks, Kylin called Minister Yates about throwing a party to celebrate life. As her patient finished her treatment, they planned a party to uplift the minister's wife.

Ruthanne had completed a round of Chemotherapy and Kylin wanted to brighten up her spirits. It was quickly agreed that she had a nice idea so he worked with his congregation to bring the little get-together to life.

They made sure to have a special cake made to commemorate the five months since their new nurse had started working with the family. Several of the members brought finger foods, drinks, and some subtle decorations.

When Mrs. Yates made it home from one of her doctor's appointments, she and her nurse walked right into the impromptu surprise party.

The long sad look on her face was instantly replaced by smiles and bouts of laughter at how they managed such a sneaky little surprise. She immediately turned to Kylin with a grin that was capable of outshining the sun.

"This has you written all over it." The jubilant figure gave her nurse a grateful hug.

"Don't just thank me. I had a lot of help." Kylin shared the praises with Ruthanne's husband as well as the church members who made sure they pulled everything together.

Even though she made sure everyone received their kudos, several of the ladies who'd known the minister and his wife since they were wed gave each other knowing glances as they closely examined Kylin. No matter how she labored to accommodate them, a few of the church members had nothing but bad things to say about the woman despite her sincere act implemented to ease their first lady's suffering.

She was nowhere near oblivious to their negativity, but Kylin refused to allow their wickedness to derail what was accomplished on that day.

The garden party turned into a pleasantly invigorating affair for Ruthanne. With the most delightfully mild weather enticing everyone to gather outside and marvel at the splendor of all the fall colors, the partygoers expressed their appreciation for the breathtaking natural scenery. Bermuda grass blanketed the backyard all the way out until it reached about twenty feet from the treeline.

This was one of Kylin's many efforts where Ruthanne's surroundings helped increase her patient's peace of mind.

Those who were in attendance of the Yates's soiree witnessed the closeness shared between the first lady of their church and her nurse, but a few of them also caught a glance of the way their leader followed the woman with his eyes when he thought no one was looking.

Glimpses meant to signify gratitude were seen as something more as a few of the church members allowed their imaginations to run rampant creating stories of what they assumed had been witnessed versus what had actually occurred.

♡♡♡

"The best way for Wattpad to know how you feel about stories like mine is when you Comment & Vote. Your interactions are totally up to you, but hearing from you really helps and encourages me to write the stories you enjoy reading.

Thanks so much for your support."