Chapter Sixteen

Aelana ran a few feet from Thoran, and then ducked behind a bush and watched. The crowd reached him. Even with her night vision, it was difficult to see their faces, because there were a lot of shadows. It looked like most of the camp had come out.

"Where is she?" someone growled.

"Gone."

"Is it true?" another inquired. "Has she . . . changed?"

Thoran held up his hands. "Aelana's physical appearance might be different, but she's the same person inside. She's still going to help us defeat the dragons."

"How do you know? How do you know she doesn't have some link with them and is going to send them to our position to have us destroyed?"

Thoran sighed. "How long have you known Aelana? When has she ever compromised any of us?"

"That was before. Things are different now."

"How?" Thoran asked, irritation creeping into his voice. "How is anything different? We still have a mission, and we're going to fulfill it."

"Because she's one of them!" someone yelled. "She can't be trusted."

Thoran stepped forward, pointing a finger at the group. "She is not one of them. She is still one of us. Just because she looks different doesn't mean her loyalty is lost." He sighed and placed his hands on his hips. "This is exactly why she stayed so secretive. She knew you would turn against her."

"Where is she? Let us talk to her ourselves and we'll decide from there. If she has nothing to hide, she has no reason to hide."

"I told you—she's gone. And I would be more apt to believe you were actually going to talk to her if you dropped your weapons and got rid of the bloodlust in your eyes."

The Protectors hesitated, looking at one another and waiting for someone else to be the first to drop their weapon.

Thoran shook his head. "That's what I thought. She has been your friend, your partner, your commander, for years. This is how you treat her? You don't even give her the benefit of the doubt?"

"If you're not going to help us, we're going to assume you're with her and against us."

Thoran moved his hand to the hilt of his sword. "Why would you say that? Have I not been your loyal friend?"

"Things are different now. Times have changed. Who knows what is going on?"

"I think it's best that everyone head back to camp." Thoran's voice was low, menacing. "We'll figure this out in the morning."

The crowd hesitated, but eventually dispersed. Thoran didn't take his hand off his sword until they were completely out of sight. Aelana waited until their voices had faded before emerging from her hiding place. She approached Thoran cautiously.

"Thoran?"

He hung his head low. "You better leave, Aelana. I can keep them occupied for now, but not forever."

"But . . . but . . ." Aelana didn't know what she wanted to say.

She wanted to yell and scream and say that it wasn't fair. She wanted to face the Protectors and tell them she hadn't changed, but what good would it have done? What would it have changed?

"Where am I going to go?" Her voice came out as a whisper.

Thoran faced her, his face shrouded in sadness. "I don't know. But be safe. I'll find you again. I swear." He turned and headed back toward camp.

Aelana folded her arms across her chest and walked in the opposite direction. Her wings were still new enough that she didn't know how to use them. The desire to take to the air, to feel the wind against her face, pulsed through her. It would have helped dry the tears that flowed down her cheeks.