"Good morning, girls, my name is Marla" she introduced herself happily "Henry explained the situation to me. Who is the one who wants to adopt?"

"That would be me" Chloe said taking a step forward "nice to meet you, my name is Chloe Bourgeois."

Marla examined the young blonde for a few seconds that seemed to last forever on the blonde girl humble opinion, then Marla smiled.

"Well, you can see that the little one in your arms loves you very much."

"It's a girl, actually," Chloe said as she sighed in relief, "I've never felt so comfortable with another animal before.  Well, there is our friend Kagami's dog, but that little ball of cuteness can't make anyone feel uncomfortable."

Both girls smiled at the thought of Kiseki, the little cappuccino-colored puppy that Kagami had adopted.

Kiseki had been the first dog Marinette had ever rescued, they had found him tied to a post near the Siena River.  Although it had clearly been abandoned, the puppy did not show aggressiveness when it had been rescued, he'll not stop trying to lick the members of the shelter who had contact with him.

Although he was affectionate to everyone in the shelter, as soon as he had laid eyes on Kagami, his affection for her had been crystal clear.

Marinette had been a little nervous when she had seen the puppy run towards the Japanese girl, but any doubt had evaporated when she observed how the usually cold girl, had bent down to play with the puppy.  It was the first time Marinette had heard Kagami speak in such an affectionate way.

Although it had taken a bit of work to convince Tomoe, it had paid off in the end.  Now Kiseki was part of the Tsurugi family.

Marinette knew that Chloe was a little jealous of Kagami.  From the moment Kiseki had become the Tsurugi family dog, Chloe discovered that she herself desired a pet.  Hoping to find an animal that would match her, the blonde had started visiting the animal shelter a lot, and while no animal was apathetic to her, none had the kind of connection that the blonde yearned for.  So seeing her so excited with the kitten they found the night before made Marinette wish so badly that the kitten had no owner, it would be very cruel to separate Chloe from her feline friend.  Marla's voice brought Marinette out of her thoughts.

"Very good ladies" she said animatedly "this is what we are going to do, we will take a couple of photos of the kitten and create a report, if no one claims her in 28 days, she will be free to adopt."

"Excuse me, I would like to know if the option that Marinette mentioned is available, the test." Chloe said hopefully.

Marla thought for a few seconds.

"The thing is, we don't know if the kitten has an owner" Marla explained, looking at Chloe, who was visibly discouraged "I'll tell you what we'll do, here in Gotham we have a system that helps us take care of more animals, it's like a foster house system.  Some of our volunteers take the animals home and care for them from their homes, then the animal is put up for adoption.  In your case, you would be fulfilling that function without being a volunteer, but I will need 5 personal references and you will have to come 3 times a week and help out for a while during the 28 days.  Is that OK with you?"

"Yes!  Of course!" Chloe said almost jumping "I promise I'll help where I can!  I don't know how to do much, but I'll try my best!"

Marla and Henry smiled at the young blonde's enthusiasm.  Marinette smiled too.
A pet could help Chloe a great deal.  Marinette knew that Kiseki had helped Kagami more than anyone could have.  There was something wonderful about animals that could make people feel good.