XII

bokuto stood outside of the emergency room, waiting for akaashi and his parents. it had been 3 days since akaashis cough attack, and he wasn't getting better. bokuto forced akaashi into the emergency room after seeing akaashi break out into a cough attack, but this time it was worse. it had been getting worse.

bokutos leg shook up and down. he was scared for his soulmate. the person that never left his side. he was scared to lose the person he loved the most.

after a couple minutes his parents walked out with worried expressions.

"is he-" bokuto was quickly cut off by akaashis mother.

"we don't know yet. he's being tested for the flu and etc." bokuto just nodded.

it seemed that hours had past, bokuto had been waiting only for 30 minutes. akaashis parents had to go back to work so it was only bokuto waiting. they seemed worried but at the same time they seemed careless of their son who was in the emergency room right now.

bokuto thought of the only way to speak to akaashi.

'akaashi?'

'hi, my love'

'are you ok?'

'not really,' akaashi let out a worried chuckle. 'i assume my parents left.'

'yeah. i'm still here.'

'you're always there for me. i love you.' akaashi spoke softly.

'i love you too, i'm never leaving.'

'the doctors back, i'll see you soon.'

'ok, i love you so much.'

'i love you too bokuto-san.' bokuto didn't have the courage to tell akaashi to not call him that.

bokuto just wanted akaashi to be ok.

"akaashi?" the doctor came out looking for his parents and bokuto quickly stood up.

"i'm his partner, is he ok?" bokuto started to play with his fingers.

"hello. i'm the doctor, come this way please." bokuto followed the doctor down a hallway with many rooms. bokuto hates the way hospitals smell, absolutely hated it.

"so..will he be ok?"

"sadly, he can't get better." bokuto almost broke down there. "we found pneumonia in both of his lungs. the build up is already taking over and as you already know, his breathing is terrible. it doesn't seem like it's going to improve as well."

"fuck." bokuto mumbled under his breath. "is there any good news?"

"you can be able to hug, make contact, and do everything couples do with him since the disease is internal. just make sure he doesn't cough on you but i doubt that will be a problem."

"ok thank goodness. so does that mean.." bokuto cleared his throat. "he doesn't have much time left?"

"sadly yes. he has about a year and 6 months, maybe even two years if he's lucky. but in about 6-8 month he will become very frail and sick, around that time he will have to be hospitalized. the most we can do is give him antibiotics to keep the mucus in his lungs from spreading too much but again, it won't do much. i'm so sorry. here is his room. i will let you two speak alone while i get his antibiotics." the doctor bowed and bokuto bowed after him. he walked away and bokuto slowly opened the door to akaashi room.

"b-baby.." bokutos voice was cracking. there was akaashi sitting on a chair with multiple bandages on his arms.

"i know." akaashi held out his arms signaling a hug.

bokuto ran to his soulmate and embraced him. bokuto wanted to break down then and there.

"i love you." bokuto spoke into the crook of akaashis neck. "i'm so so so sorry."

"this isn't your fault. i don't take care of myself."

"shut up." bokuto held akaashi tighter.

"i love you bokuto."

"i love you too. i love you so much. never forget that." bokuto pulled away and cupped akaashis face in his hands.

they stared at each other for about a minute. bokuto looked at akaashi lips and swiped his finger across akaashis bottom lip making akaashi shiver. bokuto leaned down and placed his lips on akaashis. bokuto pulled away and spoke,

"come-on let's check out, i-"

"you hate hospitals. i know." akaashi stood up, bokuto quickly linked his arm with akaashis. "what are you doing?"

"just in case, so you don't fall." bokuto smiled at him.

"i have lung problems bokuto-san, not leg problems."

"don't call me that, just let me hold you please." akaashi nodded as they walked to the hospitals front desk.

bokuto takes care of akaashi like a baby, which akaashi secretly loved.