b. Aur Ho Gaya

“Kuch nhi, Kusum ji. Aap wahan dhyaan dijiye na”.

Albeit grudgingly, Kusum complied and turned her attention to Preeti.

“Oh, toh aap hai inka support system!” A woman with the mike asked Rati.

Rati smiled another diabetic smile, “To be real, it’s all owing to mummy ji. I am so blessed to have her as my saas”.

Preeti’s nose crinkled in exasperation. Media clearly had seen her sitting with Kusum and children, and yet her referral of familial support was being linked to her son and his wife! How deeply ingrained was blood and heirarchy in their minds!

“Preeti ji, would you like to say something?”

Preeti looked at the two faces, full of hope and smile- a farce to fool the entire world, because every time she had been with just two of them, only sarcasm had greeted her.

“It’s true to say that they are the source of my inspiration”, Preeti spoke and saw Juhi’s face deflate. Continuing, she took a step forward, her eyes hardening, “Had they not bought me to Udaipur, I would’ve never realized the importance of self-respect. If this son of mine had not made me understand that his-their house can never be mine, I would’ve never become independent”.

“Maa tu ye—

Tarun started to interrupt but Preeti raised her finger and halted him. “I came to the bitter realization that every battle fought for him was lost on me. I came to realize that blood doesn’t establish relationships,but love and respect does. And I am proud to say that, these people—

She stepped past the embarrassed duo, and side hugged Kusumji, “- are my family. Samdhan dost nhi ban sakti, vo toh best friend ban sakti hai. Kusum ji taught me the value of self-respect, at every step of the way she empowered me to be bold and strong. And this is my son—

Preeti stepped between Juhi and her husband, “— and daughters- all four of them who were forever prepared to help without even asking. This is my support”

Tarun and Rati slipped away quietly, as media clicked Preeti and her family.
Preeti smiled again as she saw KT trying to slip away, “And then there was KT ji. I have never in my life come across a man like him,always willing to help and listen to others”.

KT froze as Preeti approached him, and cameras faced them,“I may have burst out on him many a times, but he never lost his composure, and always with a calm mind encouraged me to push forward. I sincerely believe, the day he asked me to be his partner was the best day of my life. To have crossed paths with you, was very annoying in the start but to be at the receiving end of your concern, is a  privilege. Thank you for coming in my life, KT ji.”, Preeti ended, her eyes seeking his.

His heart skipped, god knows how many steps and fell real hard, on the softest patch of flowers. He was thanked for being a part of someone’s life, when all those years back he had been rejected. His eyes tore up, and he turned his face away.

“And yet again, you are crying”, a soft chuckle followed and KT turned back his face to see a blue handkerchief forwarded in his direction.By then, media had dispersed and was focusing their attention on the esteemed jury members.

He accepted the handkerchief and wiped his eyes.

“Look, how swollen your eyes have become. Your photo will definitely get ruined”, Preeti remarked as KT’s eyes widened and he quickly opened the front camera of his phone to check his face, “They seem fine!”