26 - A Twist!

MJ's P.O.V

In that split second, I remembered a day in school from a few months ago. Peter hadn't been in Maths class, and then at lunch the TVs spluttered to life and news footage of Spider-Man fighting bank robbers armed with alien weapons appeared on the screens.
I watched it tensely, willing him to be alright. It was so different seeing him fighting criminals, where he could die and being unable to stop it, than just knowing that he was Spider-Man.
I only tore my eyes away from the screen when Ned said softly to me "I know it's scary seeing him on the TV like this, but he'll pull through. He always does. I mean..." Ned smiled reassuringly "he's Spider-Man."

That was exactly how I felt watching him on the surveillance footage, while I was stuck in the jet and unable to do anything at all.
'He's fine. He's fine. He's fine.' I told myself, but the unconscious figure on the floor told me otherwise.
'Just focus on what you have to do.'
Zara rushed to his side, listening to his chest for a heartbeat, and then raised her head slowly, but never removed his mask.
Outside of the door, Pippa, Lucas, and Anya had gathered and hearing the thud of Spider-Man's body, they rushed inside and were beside him in a flash. Spider-Man shivered to life slightly and rasped "Hey Luke... You alright?"
Tidal Wave was screaming at Lauren, and I was certain she was going to kill her, but Lauren seemed resigned to her fate. I guess ruining Spider-Man really was all she ever cared about.
The clock beeped, and it was time.
I picked up the black dahlia necklace and the letter Peter had written me, and slipped them into my pocket.
I'd thought long and hard about what to write on the back of the letter for Peter, for once he'd realised what I was doing, but eventually I just wrote 3 words: 'Peter, I'm sorry'.
And then I dived.

The plane crashed into the top floor of the skyscraper, sweeping away the glass and bricks and coming to a sudden halt in the centre. The front window had shattered, and every single piece of rubble had gone out of its way to smash into me. I was bruised and cut and bleeding all over. My chest felt like it had ice in it and my lungs were on fire. A waterfall of blood opened up on my forehead from where a huge chunk of glass had hit me. My head had swung backwards to smack against the seat, and my vision had gone blurry. I could just make out Beast grunting his way towards the plane wreck, Tidal Wave staring at me, frozen in shock, Lauren trying to get as far away from her as she could, and the others still gathered around Spider-Man's unconscious body.
Anya had taken over on keeping him not dead, and was pulling out her pocket first aid kit. Just before I blacked out, I saw Anya pull of his mask and reveal the face of Zephyr.