Thomas smiled a bit at me and I smiled back, as discreetly as I could. 

Gally leaned back in his chair, scowling, and I felt oddly satisfied. "Glad we got that out of the way," I commented, rolling my eyes again. Stupid Gatherings and their stupid formalities. "Reason we're here is because almost every lovin' kid in the Glade has been boohooing about Tommy or beggin' to take his bloody hand in marriage."

Including me.

"...and we need to decide what to do with him," I concluded, leaning back. My part was done for now, it was their turns to speak. Meanwhile I was just going to stare at Tommy and listen. Kinda.

The rest of the meeting was quite uneventful, a few people giving mild opinions. Punish him, reward him, don't know... I was getting more and more agitated by the second. I wrote the Keepers' opinions down, but there was nothing much that calmed me. I was waiting for Minho's turn - he was the only one who had been out in the Maze (at least recently), and he'd been there with Tommy. Plus, I trusted him.

Finally it was his turn. I looked at him, and suddenly he stood up.

"I nominate this shank to replace me as Keeper of the runners."

 My mouth fell open as the room burst into uproar.

I took a moment to collect myself before I screamed at everyone to calm down, including Gally who was trying to threaten Minho. In other circumstances, I would have laughed; who was he to even stand up against Minho? Afterwards, he stormed off saying something about things changing but I didn't really care. Though I probably should have.

I still couldn't wrap my mind around the whole situation. Tommy - as a runner?! The keeper of the runners?! He'll be out in the Maze every day... Pit against the Grievers every day. 

Nononononono. I couldn't allow this.

Nevertheless, I wrote Minho's statement down as I was supposed to. But I set my heart to convince everyone how he just absolutely couldn't become a runner.

I realised everyone was looking at me again, and that it was my turn to give my vote. Carefully, I said, "He saved two people from their inevitable death. Yes, it was bloody dangerous, but all that matters is that they're alive right now." I gave Tommy a small smile, and he smiled back. I continued, "But he still broke our number one rule, so he's definitely gonna be punished." I looked at Tommy pointedly, seeing his face fall a little.

"As his punishment, he'll have one day in the Slammer with no food or drinks."

"One day?" I heard people exclaim, no doubt surprised by the light punishment. I nodded, preparing to end the Gathering, before I remembered something else. Quickly, I stood up again. "But he shouldn't be a runner just yet," I concluded.

"Why not? He has the guts and the skills," Minho immediately retorted. I cringed internally, dreading to critisize Tommy. I completely agreed with Minho, but I needed to do this for Tommy's safety.

"He's too bloody reckless, he'll go runnin' right into a Griever's trap," I said, not daring to look at Tommy. 

"He'll learn."

"And he doesn't know what Runners do. He needs to be taught." I said, my voice becoming softer. I saw Tommy opening his mouth to retort, but I silenced him with a glare.

"I'll teach him."

I sighed. There was really no point fighting with Minho. "Fine, I'll consider," I said finally, my heart melting a little when I saw Tommy's crestfallen then delighted face. I felt really bad for doing this, since he obviously wanted to become a Runner, but I had to. For him, and for myself.

After the Gathering, Minho called me aside to have a talk. I complied, following him to the Deadheads. The whole way there, he was giving me a sly smile that made me thoroughly confused, curious yet slightly dreading what he was going to tell me.

"So. You like Thomas don't you, ya shank?" Minho blurted out after we settled down behind a log, leaving the hustling and bustling of the Glade behind us.

Patches of red bloomed on my cheeks. "No I don't," I lied, adverting his gaze.

"Yes you do, I saw the way you looked at him. Like he's the best thing you've ever seen."

I blushed even more, if that was even possible. I sighed. Well, I have to reveal it sometime, at least Minho I can trust. "Fine. Yes I do, okay? Now shut your trap. If you tell anyone I will personally feed you to the Grievers," I said, rolling my eyes. A small smile escaped my pokerface, and soon I couldn't stop smiling. Oh, the things Tommy makes me feel.

"Called it, dude. I'm really happy for you," Minho replied, a huge goofy grin on his face. "Oh look, there he comes. Have fun!" He pointed towards the Glade before giving me a wink and running away and disappearing from sight.

Oh I will, I wanted to reply. I didn't know where this sass was coming from, but I didn't care. I smiled and waved at Tommy when he came, but his face was one of seriousness. 

"Newt," Tommy said immediately when he reached me, "why don't you want me to become a Runner?"

I sighed for the 3rd time in 10 minutes. "Being a Runner is dangerous. I just want you to be safe."

"But I feel like it's my destiny. The Maze - it's calling to me. I need to go out there. I need to find a way out, to save all of us." 

Oh Tommy, don't you get it? I'll be content staying in the Glade forever, if that meant you'd stay with me.

"Tommy" I tried to reason with him, "I... I don't think I'll be able to live if something happened to you out there. Please stay safe. I... I need you. Please, Tommy. Please. Promise me you won't put your life in danger again?"

My eyes watered with unconscious tears, and I leaned in to kiss him. This kiss was different from our first one (or first few, if you will). It was salty with tears, holding guilt, hurt, brokenness...

He broke away, his eyes searching mine, tears glistening in the filtered light. 

"I'm sorry, I can't."

Slowly, he stood up and walked away, leaving me empty and wondering where I went wrong.

A/N: I'm so so so sorry for the long update! >< Again I'm really busy but I try to write as much as I can >< I hope I can get another chapter out during the weekend XP Here's a long chapter to make up for my lack of updates...!

Anyways shoutout to Fallen_Angel_Castiel, earthalien, HeadChieff, jerodsamuel, Brynjasangster and FrostyHobbit for following! Thank you!

Also another thing... WE HIT 1K READS!!! (1.4k actually) OMG its so amazing to think that 1.4 THOUSAND people have read what I wrote... And 107 votes as of now... It's... It's mindblowing. Really. 

So thank you, every one of you, so so so so so (x1000000) much for giving this random piece of fanfiction a chance! It really means the world to me :'D Also thank you everyone who voted, commented or followed... You're amazing. You too, silent readers (I'm one of you before I got 4g lol)! <3333333

Once again please vote if you liked this chapter and comment your feedback! I appreciate every one of them <3 (sorry for long caption lol)