Beginning of the end

Start from the beginning

"I know you can.. You always do. But I don't want to anymore.. If my heart stops.. Don't make it start again." He said.

"Don't say that.. You are the only father I have left.. You can't leave us." I sobbed.

"That's why I need to leave. My life purposes are over my dearest. I had trained your and Droupadi's sons. Fought along with them. What else could have remain? Now let me go." He said again.

"No.. No... You can't.. I won't let you.." I sobbed.

"What is happening? Why she not healing him?" Droupadi asked. "Adrika.. Stop talking. Heal him."

"Panchali.. He doesn't want to fight anymore. Potions can't keep him alive if he himself doesn't want to." Chhote kumar explained.

"Your heartbeat is lowering.. Please give me permission to at least keep you alive untill you say goodbyes to everyone." I begged. He slowly nodded. But I couldn't. My hands were trembling.

"Can anyone handle an injecting device?" I yelled. Shain took it from my hand and stabbed it to his heart.

"I'm sorry my grace, we were running out of time." She said and stepped down. I nodded and get up so that everyone could have a chance to say their farewell. After a while he called for me.

"My... Beautiful girl.. Why you didn't born from me?" He said.

"Does it matter?" I asked.

"No.. You are still my daughter. Promise me Adrika.. Promise me you will take care of your sisters. Like you always did. Even if it only caused you pain." He said.

"I promise. I'll take care of them." I said.

"And Dristadyumn. He would lost everything with me. His own family never called for him. He loves them but he doesn't care for them like he did for me. Take care of him as well. He can be a handful sometimes for you. But do this for me." He said.

"I will. Besides there are so many people for him." I said softly while wiping blood from his mouth. Felt like taking care of a sick son.

"They aren't you. Nobody is you to him. I feel I am dropping a lot on you." He said and I smiled.

"Old men dump their responsibilities on their young men or women at some point or another. And as I said you are the only father I have.. I'm your young woman, baba..!" I said tried to hide a tear with a smile. "Believe it or not I love that man. A lot unfortunately. Despite of his behaviour sometimes. He is family."

"Adrika.. What kind of austerity I must have gone through to have a boon like you!" He said.

"Do you need anything to ease the pain?" I asked.

"No it won't be long. Stay with me. Call your sisters." He said. I gesture them to come close.

"Droupadi... Adrika is the best thing that could ever happen to you daughter. Don't question her. She is the only one who knows what you feel. And I know what ever happens she will do everything for your best interest. Sometimes more than hers." He said.

"I know father." She said.

         I didn't thought about it. Maybe because I didn't had much time after that. Baba as he said passed away not long after that. While they were busy with last rituals. I was searching words for Droupadi, Srikhandini and most importantly Dristadyumn. Who was as expected lost. After I put Droupadi to bed with much effort I thought to visit Dristadyumn. He was sitting away from the camps near fire. I went to him and covered him with a shawl. He leaned to me.

"How are you?" I asked running my fingers in his hair. He leaned back and said.

"I'm fine." I sat down with him.