CH 1

"You're late." Alan Weber sat at the kitchen table, a cup of coffee before him.

Patrick glanced absently at the wall clock. "It's barely after ten."

"Your mother was expecting you for dinner."

"I told her I wasn't hungry. My stomach was feeling weird."

"She was worried when you didn't come home on time."

On time? "I wasn't aware I had a curfew. I'm not a kid."

"Don't get smart with me."

"I wasn't."

His dad stood. "It's common courtesy to call if you're going to be late."

"I didn't know that ten was late. And I told Mom I was just going out for a drive. I didn't say when I'd be back." Why were they having this conversation? Patrick didn't want to talk to his dad, he just wanted to go to his room and try to forget... everything.

"Where did you go?"

"I just said, I was driving around."

"You didn't stop anywhere?"

Patrick sniffed, shaking his head. "What is this about?"

"It's me being a concerned father."

"There's nothing to be concerned about," Patrick mumbled.

"So, answer the question. Did you stop anywhere?"

Patrick sighed. "Yeah. I stopped at a restaurant and had a soda. I was there for a short while, then I left and drove around some more."

His dad stared at him with scrutiny. "Why all the driving around? Something on your mind?"

"Maybe. But I can handle it. It's nothing."

"You want to talk about it?"

"Thanks, but... no."

"Why not?"

"I just don't feel like talking about it. I told you, it's nothing." He rubbed his eyes. "I'm tired. Can I go?"

His father waved him off. "Go."

Breathing a sigh of relief, Patrick went downstairs. He shed his jacket and shoes and dropped on the bed, arm flopping across his brow. The decision to wipe Derek from his life sat like a lead ball in his stomach. Why wasn't he receiving positive reinforcement from God? Shouldn't there be some measure of relief accompanying this decision? Why did he just feel sick inside?

That's shame. It'll flush away once you prove you're serious about vanquishing Derek from your life.

Was that it—shame? Shame for the sinful attractions he had experienced? The awful dreams? The way he felt when he watched the video clips on that porn site?

An instant warmth spread through his groin and he quickly started praying—banishing the temptation that continued to try and ensnare him.

His phone rang and he yelped in start, heart diving into his throat. What if it's Derek? He hadn't changed his number yet. Hand shaking, he pulled the cell from his pocket, heart racing, heightening his sickness as he fearfully looked at the screen.

Brian.

A hard breath escaped him, though his heart continued to rattle like a freight train inside his chest. He took a couple of deep breaths and answered the call. "Hey... Brian."

"What's going on? I've been trying to call you for like the last hour. Why didn't you pick up?"

Until just before he arrived home, Patrick had turned off his phone—terrified Derek would call. "Oh... uh, I'm... I'm sorry. I think my phone got turned off."